A very good suggestion for slow or unresponsive Z-Wave devices

First, i need to apologize for resurrecting a one year old thread. I didn't realize that when i first replied.

Interesting. That was not the way i understood it. I installed the Zen06 in this location when i was having my initial issues with my Schlage BE469NX.

Does the message "zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true" appear on the device page or only show up while the device is originally paired?

I actually have two of the Zen06 devices and 0x98 only appears in one of the inClusters lines:

• deviceType: 257
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x25,0x32,0x27,0x2C,0x2B,0x70,0x85,0x59,0x72,0x86,0x98,0x7A,0x73,0x5A
  • firmwareVersion: 1.3
  • deviceId: 10
  • manufacturer: 634

• deviceType: 257
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x25,0x32,0x27,0x2C,0x2B,0x70,0x85,0x59,0x72,0x86,0x7A,0x73,0x5A
  • firmwareVersion: 1.3
  • deviceId: 10
  • manufacturer: 634

yes and the entry is permanent.

OK, not sure what your concern is here, we only present the command classes that the device is advertising.
Devices are supposed to advertise all the command classes they implement, but this isn't always the case, nothing we can do about that.

Thank you for clarifying. I don’t really have a concern. As I stated I attempted to add the one switches in secure mode because it’s the general consensus on this forum that repeaters are required for proper operation of the Schlage z-wave BE469. Once I got over my initial problems pulling it over from my wink hub it has been behaving well, but with the lock I was trying to be on the safe side.

I still haven’t don’t more research, but I still think devices need to be added in secure mode to relay messages to locks. Evidently my zen06 is not in secure mode, so I guess it’s not helping in this case.

I believe you are confusing the Secure Pairing process with the Beaming function of a repeater in order to support day-to-day operations of a secure device.

My understanding is that the initial pairing of a "secure" device (e.g., Lock, Garage Door, some door/window sensors) is that the pairing occurs at low power ("whisper") levels. It is my belief (not backed up by any documentation) that this is the key exchange process. Obviously, if you can intercept the keys you can compromise the device. Once the keys are exchanged (and the lock is "Secure Paired") then the traffic between the secure device and the hub can be assisted by intermediate devices. This is where the beaming feature comes in to play. Great explanation of that here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Beaming

1 Like

I think this is the answer to one of the questions being discussed here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/wireless/mesh-networking/z-wave/specification/security

"Non-secure nodes can act as repeaters for secure nodes."

1 Like

Both the Zooz ZEN06 and the Aeon DSD37-ZWUS Repeater support beaming. It is listed in their conformance statements (links below):

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1901/embedpics

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/752/embedpics

1 Like

Thanks for the data. I don’t think the zen06 is beam forming but actually I have two zen22’s that are closet to the lock. They don’t show up on the alliance link though.

I also reviewed another thread which you posted on.

Ok I am not going worry about it. It’s working. I was just prompted after seeing a FB post and stumbled here.

Ah, you posted again while I was reading.

Yes I realized I needed to click the download link to see the extra page of information.

I also noted that the zen21 supports this so I assume the Zen22 does as well.

They are good questions. I think there is a lot of confusion about this. Understanding how best to use the devices to make the strongest network is important. We don't want to rely on weak information.

1 Like

I appreciate the time you have taken to share the information.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.