A random argument

RoboDomo looks interesting. I'll have to check it out further.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been removed by yet as it does seem RoboDomo would be competition as it's doing more than just a UI interface but uses HE as a device controller only and handles it's own logic and controls.

That would mean more hub sales so I don't see the harm. I don't view the OP's solution as mainstream so I'd be surprised if it negatively impacted hub sales.

I didn't view the Smartly integrations and enhancements as competition either but apparently it was enough to ban a whole group of contributors and developers. Publicly that was just a dashboard but this is much more so I'm just surprised is all.

I think I'll look at RoboDomo and tinker with a microservice for integrating the ISY.

It's a competitive hub in the works. That was the issue.

1 Like

but it doesn't exist yet. AND was never actually discussed on the forum. The only thing that was ever public on the forum was a link in response to Smartly questions and an avatar picture was changed. BAM the sky is falling and competition is storming the gates!?!?

Banning a whole group of people and shutting off their hubs from updates and cloud usage over ideas and future hopes of entrepreneurship in private discussions is not allowed?

I mean really talk about arrogance of a company shutting down access to hub updates and cloud services all because they got butt-hurt over ideas. Having a "local" controller really means JACK when you can't update it or use voice assistants or access the "local" system to extend it on it's own because you can't get access via SSH like the staff can. Having a so called "local" system that a authoritarian company can shut off without just because they feel like it?!?! yeah... nope.

I get that it's not direct as it's not a device controller and I know they've allowed discussions about Home Assistant and many..many are using Home Assistant now with just HE being a device controller (nothing else) which(used to) works great BTW. I think this RoboDomo will work great in that regard too.

3 Likes

Well, I'll disagree there.

Which is what the system has always been since day 1. Yet here you are?

I'm not getting into whether they should/should not have banned anyone - none of my business in the end. But your points above are definitely arguable.

You are of course entitled to your opinion though, not trying to 'shout you down'.

1 Like

Yeah I still read the forum... it's like a crack addict. It's bad for you but the drama over things not working is too much fun to watch... like a train wreck. I do really try not to reply as the fan boys attack anytime something is said about their precious.

What do you disagree with?

• Not being able to use a system you bought because someone gets insulted and shuts off your access?
  • A parent company can access your system at will?
  • I can agree somewhat with having the ability to remote into a system but it should be known about and should not be anytime they want. Vera and other systems had a setting the end-user had to enable to allow them access. That's the proper way of doing it so it's KNOWN about. With Vera and other systems that do this they also give YOU access to SSH into your own system too....

All points of opinion are arguable. The "point" if there is one is to discuss things that people are either afraid to discuss or too enamored they look the other way and ignore the issues.

You edited while replying so it's a repeat. Yes.... I'm here... watching the multi-car pile-up on the freeway. In one way I'm watching, waiting hopeful things will get fixed and become a great system.....

1 Like

No worries! I get it.

In regards to this:

I was trying to say that part is arguable.

1. No customer has ever had SSH access to the hub. There is no change there, and if that is something that someone wanted they should have never bought Hubitat in the 1st place. Listing it as an issue seems irrelevant / off topic as it was never an option on this hub, yet many people are extending hub functionality and using it just fine?

2. Voice assistant control is only an issue if you need voice assistants. And even then if Hubitat 'cuts you off', anyone can interface Hubitat to node-red or any number of other 'man in the middle' software layers to get voice assistant access to hubitat devices. Hubitat can't stop a determined customer from this unless they remove Maker API.

1 Like

I don't see RoboDomo in any way competing with Hubitat. It's complementary.

If, somehow, RoboDomo became widely adopted, it would mean big sales for Hubitat hubs.

If they were to remove the Maker API, I'd look at implementing the MQTT bridge in Groovy.

If all else failed, I'd switch to a more hospitable hub or roll my own (I have one of those Aeotec USB dongles).

3 Likes

Agreed. I don't see any issue with anything you are doing either. The side conversation is on a tangential topic triggered by mention of Markus' driver (and really OT for this thread I guess).

1 Like

True. I agree with that point. The item I don't agree with is the disclosure statement from HE about their ability to SSH into the hub at any time they choose without notice. Also the fact for years they have said "there's nothing to see" when we all know there's an OS running the system, with access ability and logs that show the problems. So what's the issue with giving access? Is this trying to protect customers from themselves? Likely. Or is this more of a don't look behind the curtain?

True. However it is an advertised functionality of the product. You can't sell a product and then by choice out of spite cripple the sold product on a targeted basis.

3 Likes

I don't see your product as competition either. However it's about as close to competition as the Smartly dashboard was. Which led to not just the author but a whole group of people being banned because of a mention of a future hub.

Yeah... I followed the normal procession around here of taking a topic totally off topic. It's the normal thing around here. When there's something good being discussed throw out some tangent to misdirect :slight_smile:

Sorry. I'm done.

1 Like

Fair enough. Although I would guess (I never read the ToS) it is buried somewhere in the terms that they "can" do that (doesn't mean they necessarily "should" though. lol).

I do enjoy discussions with you @JasonJoel but out of respect for @mykesx thread I'm done here. We can take it to PM if you want. Otherwise we'll end up in time out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @bobbyD you can move the thread back. I said I was done and we can get back On-Topic.

2 Likes

Since this is now in the debate chamber and not impeding on RoboDomo.... :grinning:

I am no lawyer nor do I play one on TV but it seems to be in the first line of the TOS that they have carte blanche to revoke access to any customer at any time for any reason. Like most of you, I rarely read these so I have no idea if this is typical.

1 Like

This remains speculative in the absence of anyone from Hubitat Inc actually stating this. And for record, I don't know one way or the other.

Also, to address @stephen_nutt's point , AFAIK their Hubitat hubs are still working with cloud access etc.

The early days of ST but slowly rolling down that same hill I see. :fearful:

Not what I've been informed of.

1 Like

Where was this disclosed? There is the ability to remotely collect logs.. but not so sure about being able to randomly pop shells on devices.. (and it’s certainly not the ssh protocol even if it is possible, that is simply not a network path that would exist)