A few questions before pulling the trigger

Yeah, @Inge_Jones 's comments on the Hue bridge are essentially why people typically keep it in their setup. But that's not to say just because a device connects to the Hue bridge you need to keep the bridge to keep using it. Probably worth reading / asking some more questions to flesh out the details on what you are wanting to do and what it may mean if you take on a HE setup.

And get used to the responses, like I said, the Community is a feature.... the cheques in the mail....:wink:

3 Likes

Wait... You get checks in the mail? I think I'm owed some back pay... :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I would also recommend you keep your Hue bulbs connected to your Hue bridge.

Hubitat’s built in Hue integration works great, and there are one or two third party integrations that also work well and may give you even more features.

Zigbee bulbs that are also repeaters, such as Hue bulbs, often don’t play nicely with other Zigbee devices on the same mesh network, and will often adversely affect your Zigbee network. If your Hue bulbs are on a Hue bridge, you take a little of the load off of Hubitat’s Zigbee radio. You can easily update the Hue bulbs’ firmware by keeping the Hue bridge. You also have another way of controlling your Hue bulbs with the Hue app if, for instance, your Hubitat ever goes down, and there are a few fun/interesting things you can do with the Hue app.

5 Likes

And it should be born in mind the Hue system can be controlled totally locally, so it is independent of the cloud just like Hubitat is.

4 Likes

@sburke781 gets cheques. Not checks. Similar, but with kangaroos.

8 Likes

Sorry, ignorant American here :rofl:. A pet kangaroo would be nice...

More on topic, and echoing sentiments above - as long as the device can be controlled locally, almost anything is possible with Hubitat, whether with a built-in app/driver or a custom one. I'm aware that community integrations exist for Shelly, Hue, and Homekit. Additional integrations exist beyond these, even for the same devices/systems.

Everything is written in groovy, which is an extension of java - so brush up on that if you want to invest in writing your own integrations! Some of the "official documentation" is a bit sparse, but the community will jump in to assist if you have an issue, and I've found that SmartThings Classic docs (as much as we rag on ST) have been helpful to fill in some of the gaps

1 Like

The beauty of the Hubitat platform is flexibility. With the built-in and community integrations you can bolt on many different independent platforms and use Hubitat as a central platform. In the case mentioned above about the Hue hub, once you add the easy integration to Hubitat the Hue devices appear on the Hubitat as devices just like any other and control of those devices from Hubitat becomes seamless. The same applies to multiple Hubitat hubs. With hub mesh devices on one Hubitat on the same local network can be shared with the other hubs and appear seamlessly on those shared hubs. Rules and automations on the hubs can use the shared devices just the same as the local devices. As far as compatibility with devices. There is a list of officially supported Hubitat devices that will give you an idea of the breadth of devices and manufacturers that are supported. WIth that being said, the community is extremely active and there are some very talented people that contribute device drivers for new devices regularly. I am an IT guy and I have never seen a community as talented and responsive as this one. It is a true asset to the product.

3 Likes

Maybe that fictitious cheque should have been an invoice, but it's not as funny... :blush:

2 Likes

@krist.vanbesien, snoop around the forum and documentation for a while. Search on the devices you have and the types of functionality you are interested in.

I have been collecting Hue bulbs for years now and have 40+ throughout the home. I keep mine on the Hue bridge for several of the reasons listed above and connect it to Hubitat with the CoCoHue integration. With that I still have access to Hue Groups, Scenes, and even Labs stuff through Hubitat and it's all local. Separate from Hubitat, I also enjoy the Hue Sync feature which allows me to synchronize my lights to music and/or video playing on my HTPC.

As for my Hue motion sensors and buttons, I've moved those over to Hubitat so I can use them to control both Hue and non-Hue devices and to have the ability to do more complex automations.

For buttons, my favorite are the SmartThings buttons. Aeotec has taken over manufacturing them now and they have had price bump as well, but I think they are worth it. I don't have any experience with Ikea's.

2 Likes

I use hue motion sensors without the bridge. Limited use case though.

Yes the motion sensors are best paired to the Hubitat network, otherwise you don't get reports from them immediately.

The newer version of the Advanced Hue Integration Community app / drivers now gets push notifications from the Hue bridge, and I'm pretty sure CoCo Hue does as well.

3 Likes

I have had this Hubitat C7 for a few months and this thing is amazing, the community is what makes it shine. It feels like there are no limitations to this thing because of the people here. I feel like I can grab just about any piece of hardware and it will work with it.

The box itself is solid and just works so far. I came from a closed system that had built in cellular and batter backup so now I have to do that part on my own. I have an APC UPS that has a USB port on the front which is what the Hubitat is plugged into. I also have a Ring alarm system that has cellular backup. So I have the backup data on that thing.

3 Likes

Absolutely. While Hue sensors like their motion sensors can be paired with the Hue hub, it is much better to pair them directly with Hubitat. If you pair them with Hue, Hubitat cannot "see" the sensors. That limits their utility. The Hue motion sensors a fully Zigbee 3.0 compliant, so they work quite well with Hubitat directly. However, like others have said, the Hue lights are designed to use ZHL, so they do not integrate well with ZHA devices. Keep the bulbs on the Hue hub and use the excellent Hubitat integration to bring them into Hubitat.

Currently I do not have a lot of Hue stuff. I bought a starter kit with a hub and three bulbs and the wireless dimmer, then another wall switch.

But what then disappointed me was that there was that there were not a lot (in fact, none at that time) zigbee modules available that I could just put behind existing switches. So I left it at that. The only thing I did was install Shelly modules in the cellars so that we could switch off the lights there when we forgot. We need to go outside to go in the cellar, so this is handy (and my wife is very big on switching of lights...). And I started also considering Z-Wave.

But now we are renovating. And I am working on a solution for the lights. Main wish is that I want to be able to change the colour temperature depending on the time of day. Cold white when cleaning for example, warm white in the evening. Being able do do crazy things during a party is a bonus. The Philips Hue range has nothing that fits (fixture depth needs to be less than 5cm)

So I will end up with a lot of Zigbee lights, but none of those will be Phillips Hue. I will add a lot of Shelly switch modules and dimmers, and maybe Z-Wave sensors. So the Hubitat is a good fit, and I was hoping not having to keep that Hue Bridge just for those few lamps (I might even get rid of them).

Anyway. Hubitat has been ordered (from Vesternet) and is on its way. Will be interesting to get started with it.

1 Like

The Advanced Hue Integration has started allowing sensors to be paired to the Hue bridge and updates pushed to the HE hub. I have transferred a couple from memory. I plan to move all my lights and accessories back onto my Hue bridge. The same is true for switches. It is still under development to a degree (I believe), for the half-dozen lights and a couple of switches and sensors, they all seem to be working fine for me so far.

CocoHue I believe is also heading down the same path, not sure about the status of accessories.

3 Likes

Consider Sengled bulbs then.. they do not repeat which is a good thing for smart bulbs. Also you do not have to get color changing bulbs to get temperature changes - for certain areas this may save you money and you would still have the ability to go from daylight to warm white.

One other suggestion - I would also consider getting smart switches as well. Why? Because with smart bulbs you will be constantly worried about people physically switching off the power. Zigbee handles this much better than Z-Wave but it is not an ideal situation. With newer smart switches you can set a "smart bulb" mode which disconnects the physical switching from the load. I have this in my den (8 Sengled BR30s plus 2 A19s) and it works great.

Also when turning bulbs all on or off if zigbee use a group with Zigbee messaging checked - reduces/eliminates the "popcorn" effect where individual lights come on at slightly different times.

One other piece of advice - be very careful about buying off brand cheapo color bulbs. The quality control is terrible. I bought some "Liokke" bulbs a while ago and had ALL of them fail/operating erratically within 3-6 months.

Edit: Instead of smart switches for the bulbs a "physical" alternative would be using switch covers - something like this.

I've used these for some client projects. They are fairly inconspicuous and easy to remove.

1 Like

I actually do not have a lot of use for bulbs. In need recessed lights that only require about 5cm depth. One I am considering is this: gledoptoZLL
I would need something like 20 of those.

Regarding switches: That is where those Shelleys come in. They fit nicely behind exiting switches. I live in Switzerland, and so anything that is intended to be used in typical US wall boxes will probably not work. Wall boxes here are either round or square, with often multiple stacked on top of each other.
A typical combination looks like this:

I cannot just replace the buttons with a button/relay combination. The best way to automat this is a module that I place behind the switches and wire to them.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good plan.. Apologies for making some very US-centric recommendations.. hopefully the ideas are universal enough though.

I have a few behind the switch relays and they work great - have used Aeotec and Fibaro, also have a zigbee relay for a closet light.. My style of switch is the "toggle" style which limits my smart switch choices a bit.. "paddles"/decora seem to be much more common for newer builds over here.