959 Kwikset Lock WiFi

I can’t pair the Kwikset 959 lock with fingerprint. It’s WiFi. I tried factory reset and pairing mode pressing A 4 times with no luck.

You can only pair Z-wave and Zigbee devices directly to Hubitat (and now also Matter via a 3rd party commissioning hub).

A regular non-Matter Wifi device would need a separate integration or custom driver. I have not seen anything for Kwikset on here but it could be out there if you search around.

1 Like

Return it and get the Kwikset 620 Z-wave lock. I've got 4 of them and they work perfectly with Hubitat.

Kwikset doesn't have any sort of API for that WiFi one, so it doesn't work with Hubitat right now, and unless they add an API for it, it won't ever work with Hubitat.

2 Likes

I agree completely. I have several of them and work great. Also the batteries last a lot longer with Z-wave.

To be fair here, battery life mostly depends on how the bolt slides.

My house turns 100 in a 2026. The doors do not line up very well. There's significant friction on the bolt when it slides, and consequently I'm swapping batteries every month or two, even on Z-wave. Ikea rechargeable AA are great, they're rebranded Eneloops for like 1/3 the price. At least the "Made in Japan" ones that I have at my local Ikea. Supposedly Ikea also sometimes carries some "Made in China" ones that are hot garbage. But a battery swap every couple months is a lot easier for me than dealing with a century old door. But I certainly wouldn't want to turn "every month or two" into "every two weeks" because I got a WiFi lock...

Wasting a bunch more battery life on WiFi doesn't help matters for sure. WiFi is still a lot more battery usage, even if most of the drain comes from moving the bolt. Plus, to work around the higher battery usage on WiFi locks the locks are SUPER DUPER slow to respond when controlled remotely. Supposedly like 'up to 15 seconds' slow, because what they do to increase battery life is have the lock only check in for new commands every 15 seconds. Comparatively Z-wave FLiRS devices check in for commands every half second. ZigBee is similarly less-than-one-second response times.

1 Like

WIFI really drains the batteries fast.

Maybe I need to switch to rechargeable because I buy new batteries all the time.

Other than a few very specific use cases, you should be using rechargeable in everything. It's cheaper in the long run, and WAY better for the environment.

Pretty much the only thing in my house that uses alkaline batteries are things like TV remotes and wall clocks, where it's expected to get 5+ years on a pair of AA. Anything that needs batteries every year or less, they're all rechargeable.

The cheapest "Amazon Basics" AA are $!6/48, or $0.33 a battery.

Ikea AA rechargeable batteries are $8/4, or $2/battery.

Break-even for cost is 6 uses on the rechargeable ones. They're better for the environment after a single recharge, since you've avoided throwing away a AA after just a single recharge.

The 1900mAh Ikea AA are good for 2000 charges, or about 10 years, whichever comes first. I've got some in service right now that are probably on their 100+ recharge, which means my $2 battery saved me buying $33+ in alkaline ones, and saved hundreds of batteries from ending up in a landfill.

1 Like

@daniel.winks Do you have a recommended charger? I have tried using rechargeable in the past (right before the newer enelope style came out). They were terrible and constantly going bad, not holding a charge, etc... no matter what brand I got. I ditched them all and went back to regular batteries. I have wanted to get back into it but always get stuck trying to find a good charger that is not insanely expensive.

I'm using this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYQ8IYS

One of the important things is not getting anxious and setting the charge rate to the maximum. The higher the charge rate, the lower the lifespan. AAA need a lower rate than AA, too.

1 Like

Good to know; I will give it a try.

However, do you have to deal with subzero temperatures?
Isn't the external temperature the reason for minimal battery life?

The batteries are on the inside of the house.

Well, one of my locks is in the garage, which is detached and unheated.

Ikea rechargeable batteries, the "Made in Japan" ones, are rebranded Eneloops.

Per Panasonic:

I didn't even think about the garage lock since I've had ZERO issues with it in the cold, other than the lock itself being harder to work due to all the lubricants being very viscous in the cold.

So if anything, rechargeable batteries are better in the cold than disposable ones.

2 Likes