4 Types of Gas Detector - Zigbee

Looks it's the same manufacturer as the one fr the st driver so might be as simple as replacing physicalgraph with hubitat.

I have that gas detector.
I made that change in the ST DH, but it didn't work.
I've asked @mike.maxwell to write a device driver for it, (and offred to send him mine, if he wanted it).
He said he would consider doing it next month.

1 Like

Did you get it to pair with the HUB at least?

I believe the ST driver only implemented Smoke Detector capability.

It doesn't look like Hubitat support a Gas Detector capability so Smoke will have to do. As long as you get an alert, it doesn't matter the wording does it?

That is a horrific event. My wife has left the gas of our stovetop on by accident, or had one of the burners go out when using a griddle, and forgetting to turn it off. Our stovetop is an old design the previous owners imported from Australia. No idea why. It's supposed to auto relight when the flame goes out, but we've seen that fail from time to time. Anyway, this makes a whole lot more sense than holding onto $60 CAD. Thanks for the reminder of what a dangerous situation gas leaks can cause.

That's a good price for a Zigbee enabled detector. Unfortunately it's not available to me in Canada. Previously, I would not have considered the Xiaomi detector because there's no HE driver at the moment, but now this is a no brainer with the Aqara Hub HomeKit edition I just bought. This sensor is supported by the hub. If anyone is interested in this, the Aqara Hub also goes back on for $40 US in the next 21 hours. That will give you alerts via HomeKit or if you add Homebridge to HE, you can get alerts there too. Also a nice doorbell and supplemental alarm. Even a bridge between other Xiaomi devices and HE via Homebridge/HomeKit automations. Have not had any reliability issues so far and the Homebridge integration from @dan.t makes it as fast and reliable as a direct to HE connection has been.

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_009984932110.html?wid=1433363

If anyone is interested, especially Canadian HE owners, I just ordered from here and used the discount code BGss6%xm for 10% off.

I'll also try pairing with HE and get a fingerprint. Maybe I can help @veeceeoh develop a driver. Keith, I have a Zigbee sniffer I've never used. Maybe I can figure that out and get you some info from it if that would help.

I got this reply back from the seller of the gas detector I showed above. Not very friendly.

I quote: "The factory says that they can provide the API unless you make the order for 100pcs.
We have try to help you,but so sorry.
Any problem,pls let us know.
Jennie"

Do we have a hundred people that want this?? :grin:

Would be easier to get 1 person with a zigbee sniffer to just make the driver for you...

Yea, I was just throwing out a little humor.

1 Like

I know. I should have put a smiley face on it. :grin::grin::grin:

Mainly what is needed is the data of the messages sent by the sensor to the hub, and that could be accomplished without a ZigBee sniffer. After the fingerprint data is established, I can make a blank device driver that will just output debug messages showing what the hub is receiving when certain things happen (e.g., when the alarm goes off).

The sniffer would be useful only for deciphering ZigBee command / write attribute messages sent from an Aqara / Xiaomi hub to the sensor, if applicable.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. You've got it, as soon as it arrives.

FYI Amazon Prime day deal for this zigbee gas sensor $39.19:

Awesome.. bought another one. How do you guys test this?

Once I receive mine, I will test it with my natural gas grill to see if your driver works. Figured this is a good test since it is outside!

Does this also serve as a Zigbee repeater?

I think so from reading Heiman website but I will fire up the digi USB stick to confirm.

Count me in. I don't want my house to blow up.

1 Like

Yeah too many gas explosions recently. Some one need to make a zigbee gas shut-off valve for undery stove and furnace.

2 Likes

One note about the Xiaomi Gas Detector, it has both 12 volts out and N/O contacts, so you can have a qualified, licensed professional wire a gas shut-off valve and or an explosion-proof exhaust fan to it that will activate automatically on alarm, if they will. Also note that the Xiaomi gas detectors do not appear to bear any CSA, UL or Intertek markings. I have yet to receive mine, but this seems to be the case from online photos of the back of the device.

However, I would warn anyone considering operating anything in the presence of explosive gas to ensure that it is completely contactless. DO NOT CLOSE RELAYS, TURN ON ANY KIND OF SWITCHES, or OPERATE MOTORS THAT COULD GENERATE SPARKS IN A GAS ALARM SITUATION!

1 Like