4 Releases in 7 Days!

@bravenel
I for one welcome the hotfixes even after the release.
We Beta testers can't find every glitch; it takes a thousands of users to see into the dark corners.
Well done team.

15 Likes

Somebody better tell @gopher.ny to stop working so hard…

9 Likes

@pgreen you're like me and feel compelled to do every upgrade, but are a little annoyed at the frequency you could do what I did and automate the upgrade process.

It checks for an available update, and if there is one available, it emails the details, then performs the update.

8 Likes

8 Likes

So is 2.3.7.x stable now? :wink:

I’m home from vacation in a few days and I’ve been restraining myself from from doing a remote upgrade on my hubs. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ive been looking for this for YEARS!

As you can see in this post, Ive been quite frustrated with the lack of auto-update in Hubitat. Well, now my Pi successfully auto-updated the Hubitat! Now I'm down to ZERO manual updates in my IOT system!

I owe you a coffee!

Sounds like we have come full circle from the OP :grin:

2 Likes

For something as important as your home automation hub, auto updates are not really a good idea. It’s safer to send yourself a notification when there’s an update available and let you choose when to do it.

I can only recall one breaking update that was withdrawn by the Hubitat team, but my point is, no software release is perfect.

I can VPN into my home network at any time to run updates, but I would rather do it while I’m at home - Just in case something doesn’t go to plan.

13 Likes

I agree, but for me this comes down to conflicting neuroces. On one hand, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. On the other hand, I always like having the latest and greatest. In this case, the latest and greatest won out.

5 Likes

My finger hovers over the update button but I always back down due to the family traffic that comes though my home though the Christmas and New Years Holiday. I love it that I get to choose when to update with the Hubitat and that the hot fixes are quick updates. I have a general rule to only update if the bugs fixed are something you need or is security related. Before my C4 died I only did an update about once per year. With my C7's I usually update in January with the end of year release and then watch the notes for the updates.

4 Likes

All options are equally valuable. I certainly fall into the "send me a notification" camp, but would not want to deny people the option to sit on the bleeding edge, with all the "eyes wide open" that is involved. Living alone I could probably be in the "to hell with the consequences" camp, but I would still choose to control the changes I even inflict on myself... Though now I think about it, I haven't chosen that option for updates in HPM.... somehow I seem to trust Community dev's more than those in charge of the platform.... Hmmm.... we don't release any breaking changes do we...?

3 Likes

I do too, but I wait a couple of days to ensure there were no serious escaped defects in each release.

2 Likes

Seriously??

1 Like

Technically you don't need to update even if things aren't working, apparently we can choose whether to update.... :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

I think this is where we differ.

I dont really think my smart home is that important. Say an update breaks stuff. My family is inconvenienced for a day or so. Its not a big deal.

I tend to stay conservative with updates to my computer - since its actually very important for my school and etc. I manually update my computer. I tend to do security patches quickly, but I wait for bugs to go away before installing feature updates.

I see where yall are coming from now... My smart home is just not that important to need 100% uptime.

1 Like

First wife?

2 Likes

Or a keeper....

2 Likes

Still in highschool, so no :rofl:

1 Like

For sure. I install them all during the beta, but in production I skip lots of releases if the fixes are for something I don't use.

Why would I update for a fix I don't even need? Just to have the latest and greatest? Nah.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a team I used to work on where there was an automated check that each build was no slower than the previous one, with the goal of incenting no performance regressions. But it's difficult to add new features without requiring extra processing time, so any feature work would constantly trip the perf gates.

So what the developers would do is hoard performance improvements. Instead of improving the performance as much as they could for the best user experience, they'd keep a collection of potential performance improvements ready to check in. After each feature was done, they'd see how much performance it regressed and also check in a perf improvement of similar magnitude. The net result was that perf never regressed, but it never got significantly better, either.

3 Likes