4 hubs and Zigbee channels

Yo yo.

I have 4 hubs. Should they all be on different Zigbee channels to avoid interference or is it all gut?

I would try to separate the channels even though I have 3 hubs with the same channel and don't have issue except when pairing a new device you have to turn off the other 2 which is a pain.

I am running 4 hubs all on the same zigbee channel (20)
3 on separate floors
(one my old C3 is sitting next to my C7 but the C3 doesn't have any devices left on it)
I have never had to power any of the hubs off to pair another device but I could see it possibly taking a couple of tries.
I have always removed the device I want to move from the old hub first then pair it to the new hub.
Having them on separate channels is a good idea.

Cool I'll do that. I have 3 hubs literally 2 inches away from each other. Haven't had any issues but don't want any.

I don't power the hub off for pairing. Just turn off the Zigbee in the UI.
Maybe I have too many repeaters or crazy wifi in my area.

I wouldn't leave the hubs too close to each other though.

More relatable to WiFi interference with Zigbee than Zigbee with other Zigbee radios, but itโ€™s still advisable to have some channel separation.

2 Likes

I followed this guide to set my wifi channel far enough away from my Zigbee channels.

HOWEVER, I have recently added an additional router as a wifi mesh node. I wonder if wifi nodes use the same wifi channel as their "boss"... I'm not able to easily access the individual control panel of my node or I'd check.

They are all on the same channel. For you to connect to any of them, and move between them seamlessly, they all need to be on the same channel.

1 Like

That makes so much sense I can hardly stand it.

Depending on your router and AP. On my Ubiquiti, I can set the channel manually or let the AP changes the channel automatically for optimization. I set them manually to avoid my Zigbee and neighbors.

He's talking about between the wifi ap's or mesh whatever regardless its the same. For fast handoffs the AP's have to be on the same channel. There isn't such a thing for Zigbee so it's better to separate them out to 25, 20, 15. I wouldn't put anything on any other channels as those are used by wifi and not just the lobes.

1 Like