4 days on my new Hubitat-please address these common issues

I agree with you regarding the zwave device parameters. I have some devices that have no specific driver (TBK plug in switches and dimmers, Everspring relays) that have configuration parameters that I know details of, but have no way to access in Hubitat. I've got round it with a temporary bodged driver for the TBKs but could not use my Eversprings with a momentary switch if I needed to. I think some way of setting device parameters is essential.

Exactly.
When a Zwave device is included, all these device parameters are also enrolled within the zwave software. I have to clue what needs to be done to access these variables in the zwave stick, but they are there.
Even in the Vera they were exposed and each device could be opened to access the parameters and change them. Then you sent them back to the device.
The Fibaro manual that comes with a device even has the parameters list and recommended default settings. All this has nothing to do with the Vera itself. It should be available via any zwave chip, One just needs a simple app to access them for changing. I also have a few Chinese zwave devices (Wintop)and even they have the parameters listed for the user to change.
I think Hubitat needs to expose these parameters to the user with a built in app to allow changing. Device drivers are another matter alltogether.

Does anyone know of a zwave app that can do this? Even via ssh using putty or WinSCP. There must be a way since Vera, HSM, and ST seemed to do it.

I could be talking absolute rubbish (as I don't know) ... but would OZWCP help here ?
(Open Z-Wave Control panel) .... lots of Google hits

I'm writing a super simple zwave configuration driver that I'll post in our public code repo, this will allow you to read write any parameters that you want.
It should be done in an hourish...

12 Likes

With anything I've seen most people suggest so far, you wouldn't really be creating code--I just suggested seeing if there's a SmartThings device type handler for your device, then doing minimal (when I said "find-and-replace,"I was being literal) changes that might be necessary to adapt it to Hubitat. Beyond that, it's basically copy and paste into the "Drivers Code" section the Hubitat admin UI.

In fact, what's the make and model of your switch? I'd be willing to look for an ST DTH myself and, if one is available, see if the typical changes are enough to make it work on Hubitat. If that doesn't exist, if you know the specific parameters you need to set (as csteele mentioned for the switch above), it might be possible to just modify a Z-Wave switch or similar drive enough to set them and then you can switch to whatever driver works best for actual use of the device.

Saying "ST could do it" is giving ST a bit too much credit--it was a third-party device-type handler, and it apparently used undocumented methods that Hubitat does not implement (which is part of the reason it's been difficult for people to port). However, there are people who have taken their Z-Wave stick (probably a Z-Stick for you?) and used it with different software, like OZWCP, temporarily for various purposes. Sounds like a lot more work than finding a driver, though. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

So just to be clear, if I use this driver to set parameters they will "stick" unless I select configure in the actual driver's settings? If so, this is awesome, it gives full access to the advanced parameters of the device, but still allows me to run the "system" driver!

1 Like

that is correct, settings will stick unless the device is factory reset, removed, or configure is run from the base driver.

2 Likes

Works great! I've just set the momentary/toggle switch parameter on one of my Everspring AN179s.

Log says it worked

1 Like

@buckchucko This is what Iā€™m talking about. You get this kind of support from Vera? And less than 24 hours from when you requested something like this! Simply outstanding support.

8 Likes

You the man Mike. This is going to be so important! Thank you very much.

But just so I don't screw up, The set Parameter box has 3 boxes for numbers.
Is this correct?.......
1st Box = Parameter to change
2nd Box = Old value
3rd Box = New value
???

I can tell you, the ONLY thing that kept Vera alive was the great community support. Despite Vera itself taking a cold shoulder to people who wrote Plugins and luup code to keep Vera functioning, the http://forum.micasaverde.com/ was jamming with support, very active.

Hubitat community appears to be plugged in as well and this is so important to Hubitat's success. I checked about this before I ordered my Hubitat.

So nice to see this and be part of it. I will help anyway I can as well.

3 Likes

first: parameter number
second: parameter size
third: parameter value

Thank you Mike

1 Like

Is this the tool Iā€™m looking for to allow me to set group 1 associations between master dimmer switches and wireless accessory switches for older z wave (non-plus) devices?

According to what I know, I don't think you can use it to set associations.
Maybe Mike can chime in.

It would be nice if it could

@mike.maxwell I just went through my devices and using your tool I was able to get all my devices back working normal with the physical switches.
Again, very nice work Mike. Now I don't have to sleep on the couch tonight!

2 Likes

It could but isn't, I might poke at it, but associations really need an app in order to make device selection easier. This tool will be an app some day, I really only had an hour to spare on it this morning.

3 Likes

Gotcha Mike.