(3210-L) Can't get Z-Wave to pair

Zigbee and Z-Wave are mesh network protocols. A device can only be paired to one mesh network at a time. This is how these two protocols were designed and implemented. And it makes sense. Imagine if your repeater devices had to resend data for every network they could 'hear'...they'd be very busy with everyone else's network traffic and might do a lousy job with your own network. And, then there's the privacy/security issues.

It is similar to how your WiFi router does not help your neighbor's signal strength.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have over 20 of these and I originally had troubles pairing the zwave side as I had read so many posts of how fast you need to push the button to pair. I found that I was going crazy racing to do the pushes multiple times per second, this was causing me to over or undercount my clicks. With the plug close to the hub, try doing a zwave exclude, then pairing, but just the button at a fast (not crazy) pace and only do 8 presses, 7 or 9 presses will not work.

I have also found that these devices then need to be moved slowly (by distance) to there final location with zwave rebuilds in between so they can build / record there routing tables. If you pair it then move it far from where it was paired, it will never find its way home.

Just my experience.

1 Like

Thanks for that part about the location Sven. I typically pair close to the hub, then locate the plug where i want it and do a zwave repair...never thought to look and see if it joined....i just made an assumption it did.

Can you tell me how to monitor for the zwave repeater signal please?

Thanks

I found a sequence that was able to be replicated....not saying its correct ( or i was just lucky ). Sharing in the event it may help reduce frustration for others.
Mac

Who ever used the term PITA understated itā€¦.PITFA!
This is the only order I found that worked.

• Perform in area close to hub. Reboot Hub
  • Factor Reset Plug ( remove power, hold down button, Insert into outlet, release button when blue light comes on
  • Unplug
  • Start Zigbee Discover
  • Plug inā€¦.at this pointā€¦HE usually finds and pairs the zigbee portion
  • Name device, save
  • DO NOT EXIT SCREEN, DO NOT UNPLUG
  • Start Z Wave Inclusion
  • Depress Button 8 times
  • With luckā€¦ā€¦ Youā€™ll see the elusive Z WAVE Found start to populate
  • Go to fridge ā€“ reward self with adult beverage! ( last part optional)

I paired 2 of these todayā€¦both the zigbee and z waveā€¦after many tries.
I tried multiple different iterations last night, started in a different roomā€¦..NADA.
Rebooted hubā€¦nada. Finally gave up and went to sleep!

When I resumed in the AMā€¦I started in the same location againā€¦.could not get the zwave to pair.
When I moved close to the hub and rebootedā€¦.still couldnā€™t pair the z waveā€¦but I was unplugging and replugging in the device between the zigbee pair and z wave pair.
When I managed to get the 1st one to pair the zwave with the above processā€¦.i couldnā€™t get the 2nd one to pair until I rebooted the hubā€¦then followed the entire sequence.

These plugs are great with the combo of zigbee control and z wave repeater ā€¦so donā€™t give up!

4 Likes

A few things to note....

#1, when pressing the button 8 times, you have to do it quickly. If the outlet toggles on, you didn't do it fast enough and you have to start over again.

#2 to perform a z-wave exclusion, the only way that I have been able to do it is to go through all the steps above up to Start Inclusion. Instead you begin exclusion. Then the outlet will excluded. Then you have to start again from the top to include it in both the zigbee and z-wave networks.

#3 there are at least two different versions of the firmware for this plug. One version works well as a Z-wave repeater and one does not. I have 9 of these outlets. Four work as z-wave repeaters and 5 do not. They "bad" ones will join successfully to the z-wave network but will not actually be found during subsequent Z-wave repairs. Because of this, I went through and only paired the zigbee side of the outlets to Hubitat to keep them from attempting to be z-wave repeaters, just in case.

4 Likes

Thank you, sir. I had given up on this plug as working for Zb or Zw but not both until I found this note. Doing it in this order worked perfectly!

1 Like

Any idea how to tell which is which?

I'm pretty sure mine is good, as my garage devices don't work without it in place... but it makes me curious.

Do you have a SmartThings hub? If so, you can pair the 3210-L to it and it will display the firmware version in the Web IDE Device Details Page.

I received 5 of these recently from ebay and did notice a visible distinction... On the back of the plug, there will be a normal label in the bottom right corner, the one that says UL/Z-Wave Plus and has a QR Code. In my case, if that was the only label, they have the older 0x20015010 firmware. If there is an additional small barcode label just above the first label, then they have the newer firmware.

2 Likes

I just bought a few of these used on eBay and I'm working on pairing them as Z-Wave devices. The info provided in this thread was a useful starting off point, but I just couldn't get them to pair following the above instructions.

Here's what I figured out after messing with them. Hopefully it's useful to someone else.

1. Plug in 3210-L while holding down the button.
  2. Release when the blue LED lights up. LED should now be slowly repeating 3 blinks. This appears to be Z-Wave paring mode. Whether it's actual a "factory reset" state, who knows.
  3. Start Z-Wave Exclusion
  4. Press button while pairing mode (3 slow blinks repeating). Hubitat should confirm an Unknown Z-Wave device has been excluded. If it doesn't exclude, try pressing the button on/off slowly (same as with most Z-Wave switches), but it shouldn't be necessary to do this.
  5. With the 3210-L still in pairing mode (3 slow blinks repeating), start Z-Wave Inclusion.
  6. Press button quickly 8 times. Make sure the switch does not turn on as a result of these presses. LED will blink quickly 2 times to confirm, then return to 3 slow repeating blinks. Hubitat should find it as a Generic Z-Wave Repeater.
  7. If you inadvertently triggered the switch on/off in Step 6, unplug 3210-L and start over. You do not need to exclude the device again and can go straight from Step 2 to Step 5.
  • Discovering it as a Zigbee device first is NOT necessary. I have 5 of these paired as Z-wave without doing anything on the Zigbee side yet.
  • I was successful in pairing in their final locations and did not need to be next to the hub. Maybe just lucky.
  • The LED status light has some other states that I have not figured out. It can sometimes get into repeating 2 fast blinks and I have no idea what that means.
  • I have not figured out how to exclude from Hubitat using the "Remove Device" button. From that screen, when it says that Hubitat is in exclusion mode, even with the 3210-L in pairing mode, pressing the button does nothing. I just force remove and exclude from the Device Discovery screen.
  • I wish I would have done my research to know that the Z-Wave function is only a repeater. My Z-Wave mesh is already pretty good and I just wanted a few outlets to control some lamps. These will be my only Zigbee devices, so hopefully the coverage will be good enough.

There are more than a couple folks who have ventured through I3210L integration. I caution you may not yet have them properly working. If you have not yet, please update the z-wave driver for each to that from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shackrat/Hubitat/master/Drivers/Iris-ZWave-Repeater.src

Please try that soonest. That device driver gives clear indication of the z-wave repeater properly functioning. Tied to the proved (often frustrating multi-attempt path) to getting the I3210L to work, is:

1: Hold the button down when you plug it in and wait for a solid blue light, then release the button (factory reset).
2. Zigbee pair and name the device.
3. Do NOT unplug. Whether you have previously z-wave paired and/or tried to pair and failed, start z-wave exclusion and press the button exactly 8 times (If you're not sure you pressed 8 times in rapid succession, press again and again until you get it right. You'll "feel" the click). HE may or may not show successful exclusion. That matters not.
4. Unplug the device, repeat steps 1 & 2.
5. Do not unplug the device. Start z-wave inclusion. Press the button exactly 8 times. If it find the device, save and name it (you can use the same name used for the Zigbee save or another name for the z-wave repeater version device).
6. On the saved z-wave repeater device, install the above driver.
7. Run its configure, test and interrogate functions.

If you're good to go, you'll have successful configure, test, and interrogation results. If you're not good to go, return to step one, and repeat until you feel like you're using RM. HE really should have a badge for this...

2 Likes

:star_struck: @mongo_ks - Thanks for the info on the user driver. After stepping into the 3210-L rabbit hole yesterday, the additional info and testing ability of that driver should be quite helpful!

1 Like