(3210-L) Can't get Z-Wave to pair

I have 2 of the (3210-L) devices.

Zigbee works perfectly.

I simply cannot get ZWave to pair at all.

I have followed all the steps I have found, mostly exclude the ZWave side then try an include. I can get it to see an unknown ZWave device when I am excluding it from the network but once I put it in pairing mode for ZWave and do the same process (press the power button on and off 8 times) it won't see it.

I saw somewhere that it may need a firmware update but it sounds like that requires the Iris hub which I don't have. Is there a way to firmware update these with the HE?

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

No way to get updates from IRIS. Servers are gone. You can get updates from Wink, but HE does not do firmware update for device.

2 Likes

If you reset the device, you first have to pair the zigbee side. So, after excluding, hold the power button down and insert into the outlet and then discover zigbee devices in HE. Then, once that is paired, discover z-wave in HE and then hit the button 8 times. If you don't do it in that order, it won't pair.

1 Like

3210 is zigbee.....are you trying to join it to zwave?

3210-L is both Zigbee and Z-Wave.

1 Like

I had the best luck pairing these using the procedure you list above, BUT within about 10 feet of the Hubitat hub. Afterwards, I moved them to the final location and ran a Z-Wave repair on the network.

This is the process I've been trying to use.

Zigbee is paired. Works great. Zwave refuses to pair or be seen in anything but the exclude process.

I have the devices as close to the hub as is possible. Roughly 4 feet from hub to device when pairing.

Looks like they may just not work. Guess I'll look into stand alone zwave repeaters. Sigh.

Just curious when trying to pair the zwave are you pressing the button so it clicks on and off or just lightly pressing the button very fast. It usually takes me several tries to pair the zwave side.

I'm letting it click on and off each press.

Interesting. Are you saying they make two versions or each includes zwave and zigbee? Mine joined as zigbee and I never tried zwave.

You have to put the hub in pairing mode and then You have to lightly press the button either 8 or 10 times. If you press it where it clicks your pressing to hard for the zwave repeater side.

You have to press the button as quickly as you can about 8-10 times. The relay should NOT turn on and off while doing the Z-Wave pairing (except maybe at the very end when your finger feels like it is about to fall off from all of the clicking! :wink: )

2 Likes

AH!

Doing the pairing mode, power on, pressing the button LIGHTLY I was able to finally get one of the repeaters to work.

The other repeater simply refuses. I've factory reset (removed Zigbee first each time), paired Zigbee then followed the above and it just won't see the other repeater at all.

Oh well, hopefully this one extra repeater will help keep my Schlage lock from constantly failing as it does today.

Thank you!

I don't know if there are 2 versions but the 3210-L definitely does both. It's one of the reasons I bought them originally.

The Lowes Iris 3210-L specific model of these outlets are primarily a Zigbee device. The Zigbee side controls the outlet's on/off functionality. These also include a Z-Wave Repeater only feature, which requires the device to be paired a second time using Z-Wave pairing. It will then show up as a Z-Wave Repeater device.

I have the -L2 and there's no 'soft push' option. The tiniest pressure is a click.

08%20AM

maybe the plain ol' -L has a different throw on the button?

I have these things and never knew that.....thanks for the info. Odd that you would need to pair a repeater. I would have thought it would just do its job without being joined to the hub. Learn something every day.

How does it know what else to repeat to? It's not going to repeat all signals for all zigbee or z-wave networks, only for yours. That's why it has to be in your mesh. Otherwise you could control your neighbors lights and vice versa.

I'm sure you know much more than I concerning zwave. But what difference would it make if it repeated your neighbors signals? I dont understand how that would allow your hub to control their devices. Their devices are registered to their hub right?

And if my neighbor installs a booster will he be able go control my devices if he doesn't marry it to his hub. I dont have a repeater so this is interesting.

Its isn't a booster....its'a repeater. It is joined to your network because the messaging is 2 way. It's not like a radio transmission where the sender doesn't really care if the message is received by anyone.

1 Like