3-Way Switch Not Working in Simple Automation Rules

I've got a light at the top and bottom of my basement stairs. Both are 3-way switches. I recently replaced the original switches with Leviton Z-Wave Plus switches and matching 3-way remotes.

If I could go back in time I would have both lights wired together to one switch. But I've done the next best thing a set up simple automation rules that turns one on when the other is turned on (and vice versa), and one off when the other is turned off (and vice versa).

The rules work when activated from the device list and when pressing the actual master Z-Wave switch, but not when pressing the 3-way remote switch (nothings happens). Given that the device state changes when triggered by the 3-way remote switch, why does this rule not work when using the matching remote switch?

Simple Automation Stairs

What model numbers are the switches and remotes in question?

With some of the remote setups, the remote switch just tells the "real" switch what to do, and with others there is a Zwave component in both halves. Which way are these?

To me, it sounds like they are wired wrong, but without looking at the manual, I cannot say for sure.

Switch is DZ15S. The matching remote switches are completely dumb. They just tell the actual (master) switch to turn on/off. They are wired correctly.

My question is: given that HE knows the change of state on the master switch when triggered by the remote switch, why doesn't this rule work for the remote switches?

Let me be sure we are all on the same page here. (not enough caffeine yet today)

• The main switch works physically, lights respond and "current states" on the device settings page reflect this physical action?

• The lights respond and "current states" are correct if using a dashboard the device settings page?

• The remote switch operates the lights correctly when physically pressed?

• The remote switch does not trigger the rules, but the physical switch does?

Lastly, just to be sure.

These are two separate light switches with two separate bulbs. And each of these separate light switches ALSO have a remote switch. (two switches per bulb, and two separate bulb circuits)

That is correct. You summed it up better than I did. :wink:

I only have a couple more ideas. After that, hopefully someone else can chime in here.

The first is something "unusual" that I saw in the troubleshooting section for this switch. Wire length? The other tip is fairly obvious on the surface, but read the next section.
11 .

So there is a matching switch and coordinating switch. And they are wired differently. Why the heck do they do this crap to people. Maybe you should recheck the wiring on the switches (both ends).

@neonturbo, I know that you're trying to be helpful. But I said it before and I'll say it again. These devices are wired correctly. They are 15' from one another. I've been installing electrical wiring for over 40 years.

This is a logical issue with simple automations. Somehow the rule is firing with the master switch changes state by itself (when mechanically pressed). But HE does not recognize the change of state if the remote switch tells the master switch to change states.

I'm going to let this go for now. Since it works from each master switch, I just have to remember to just use them and not the remote swtiches.

See, that is what I don't get.

• If the master switch works correctly...
  • And the remote switch is tied only to the master (physically and Zwave-wise)...
  • And the master has to interpret the remote and forward its commands onto the hub...

How can it be the hub's fault? To me, that is either a bad master or remote switch in some form or another.

Either the master isn't forwarding the signals, or the remote isn't sending them. I don't see how the hub could ignore what the master sends it.