2 questions. One RM, one physical

I’m working on a motion rule for my kitchen, and have 2 questions:

1. Would it make a difference if I mounted the motion sensor upside down (could improve WAF.
  2. What does cancelabke mean? How would I use it?

Here is the current rule. Seems to work ok. But can I refine it better?

It might. If turning it upside down changes the orientation of the sensor’s field of view, for example. Possibly more of a potential issue for a PIR sensor than a mmWave sensor? But I have no personal experience with mmWave sensors.

Bottom line is it depends on the sensor, though.

Without looking at the box, I'm pretty sure it is PIR. It's an Aqara P1 motion sensor.

Looks like you are using motion active as the condition for the trigger, but it's motion on the same sensor -- I don't making that trigger conditional in that manner is helping anything (and could potentially impede trigger, depending on the reaction timing)

So take the condition out?

I would, but if it works OK, it's up to you... I just can't think of any positive for keeping it in there, but maybe I'm not considering something.

I just always try to keep my rules as simple as possible -- I only add redundancy / shore-it-up elements if performance deems such a thing necessary. Otherwise, keep it as "light" as I possibly can.

EDIT - I don't use any conditional triggers, but based on pic above, it looks like you'd need to remove something in the trigger there that's currently looking for a condition (ONLY IF part).

Look better? Still not sure its working as intended.

Hard to weigh in on that without knowing what’s intended or why you don’t think it’s doing what you had in mind.

I think it looks good. If there are performance issues, I'd look at the motion sensor logs to confirm whether or not it's reacting as hoped (timely etc).

Seems like a straightforward enough rule.

You walk into the kitchen, motion sensor triggers and sets lights to different levels depending on mode. Then the lights turn off after a timeout that also differs per mode.

Is that what you intended?

I have a P1, but it's not mounted upside-down. I don't imagine you will notice anything since that sensor can be set to be very sensitive. I have mounted a Xiaomi Mijia sensor upside down before and it responded exactly the same. The Mijia sensor design is very similar to the original Aqara motion sensors.

2 Likes

I do know that some motion sensors recommend an upside down mount if the sensor is higher than a certain number of feet, as they are oriented when sitting for a certain field. Since the Aqara has a flexible mount you can mount it upside down and orient it as desired, so looks fine to me to do that.

Yep, that's it. I nay need to move the sensor to a location that motioning the living room. So t triggerit (open floor plan).

That is sorta whst I was thinking.

1 Like

Well I'm only sorta thinking. so between us were sorta sorta thinking. That may be dangerous. :wink:

Just be aware, that as written, your rule will turn off the lights even if someone is in the room moving around the entire time.

There is no wait for the motion to end before starting the delayed off command per mode.

3 Likes

Can I do both wait for motion to end AND delay per mode?

Think I figured it out.

1 Like

You may also need to change the Delay to a wait, so that if the motion goes active again while waiting for the time to expire..it will be automatically cancelled.

If that is not possible (due to the delay “per mode”), you should make the DELAY statement cancellable. Then add a cancel delays at the top of the actions.

1 Like

1 Like

Why not use the Room Lighting app?

1 Like