2 questions for motion lights

1. Can turn off lights be in seconds, not minutes?
  2. My lifx bulbs have a flash command, how can I activate that on motion?

IDEALLY ā€œoutside motion sensor detects motion, flash lifx light red for 10 secondsā€
Thank you

Neither of these is directly possible with Motion Lighting if that is the question. However, it does allow 0 for the number of minutes, which still use whatever inherent delay your sensor has (almost all have something ranging from 15-30 seconds up to a few minutes, often configurable but sometimes not).

Question 2 would require the use of Rule Machine or a custom app. Being able to create pretty much any automation you want, that could also address question 1.

Your automation would be particularly easy to do in Rule Machine, most simply something like:

Trigger: Outdoor motion active

Actions:
Flash: LIFX Light
Wait for events: elapsed time --> 0:00:10
Off: LIFX Light

Or, if you don't necessarily want to turn it off afterwards, something more like:

Actions:
Capture: LIFX Light
Flash: LIFX Light
Wait for events: elapsed time --> 0:00:10
Restore: LIFX Light

6 Likes

Iā€™m doing this now. How/ when do I do wait for events

"Wait for events" is just a action/command option you can select within Rule Machine. In this case, the event that will be waited for is an elapsed time of 10 minutes.

3 Likes

Thank you. I used the hadb to bring in my reolink doorbell person sensor in. The problem is it functions like a switch, on/off. I want to make it a motion sensor but even if I change the driver to generic motion the log still reads ā€œon/offā€ any way to change it?

Not sure what your options are in HADB, but if you could easily use that switch as a replacement for the motion sensor in the rule I suggested above. Just trigger with "switch on" instead of "motion active." Everything else would be the same.

2 Likes

Thanks, this look right?

No, that will keep flashing indefinitely. You'll need to add an "Off" action (or "On" or whatever you really want to do) after that "Wait" (which as is doesn't really contribute anything to the rule since there's nothing after it to wait for).

The trigger looks good, though! And it's a bit different than I said (but you are correct) because I didn't see that wasn't a "real" switch but something that apparently just reports some custom attributes you can use.

1 Like

You need another action to end things -- like "Off: Lifx light", as Robert suggested earlier.

Right now, nothing will happen after the 10-minute wait.

2 Likes