[2.3.7.132] Wonky Tapo Matter Wi-Fi plug behavior (P125M)

I have four Tapo Matter plugs on my mesh, and two of them didn't play nicely this AM. This could easily be a Tapo and not an HE issue, but sharing is caring, right? :slight_smile:

Wife's coffee plug: RL automation to turn off at 11pm, on at 7am. Logs are confusing. The plug does seem to turn off at 11pm from the RL automation, but then it claims a physical turn off after the 11pm digital turn off. Wife didn't even know about the plug and neither of us was in the office at 11pm last night, and I certainly didn't turn it off physically. We had migrated to our bedroom around 8pm.

This AM the RL automation ran at 7am, but plug did not turn on. Regardless of what the logs say I went into the office around 7:15 and confirmed the plug was actually still off.

Coffee plug: Button Controller automation: Didn't turn on when I first held the button on Pico at 7:26:55 or four seconds later at 7:26:59. At 7:38 I went to the Device page and turned the plug on and off from there. Then the Pico/Button automation worked to turn the plug on and off at 7:38:32:446. Then there were several turn on events - maybe the hub was "catching up" on my earlier attempts to turn it on. Just weird...

Just curious: What are you using for your thread border router?

Have had similar results with using an Echo as a router, as well as a SmartThings hub.

1 Like

These are Wi-Fi Matter devices, not Thread devices, so I don't think TBRs would be be directlyinvolved, right? (I am constantly re-confusing myself w/the "simplicity" of Matter.) :wink:

FWIW I have two TBRs:

• Homepod mini
  • Google Nest display (the little one, gen 2)
1 Like

Yeah, Matter is clear as mud.

2 Likes

Matter is fairly straightforward. Matter via WiFi only needs to be connected to WiFi by a controller. No Boarder Router is needed. Matter via Thread requires a Boarder Router to connect and control.

As for the actual issue, what does the Events tab say for the Tapo plug? Is it receiving the commands from RL? I have four Kasa and one Tapo connected via Matter and they seem to be working fine. The Tapo was harder to get connected and stabilize with Hubitat, but has been working fine for a few weeks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.