2.3.6.136 Issue with Hub Mesh

Recently upgraded from the final release of 2.3.5 to 2.3.6.134 and subsequently 2.3.6.136. Hub Mesh appears to be broken. I do see in the 2.3.6 release notes where mesh was moved to mDNS but from what I understand that should not be any issue. That said, for awareness I do run a PiHole on my network with Unbound and I do use PiHole's local DNS server for several services on my network. I also use PiHole's Local IP as my WAN DNS IP on my router (so all DNS queries hit the PiHole/Unbound). I disabled this and re-tested Hub Mesh, still didn't work.

Devices:
C-5 & a C-7, both currently running v2.3.6.136

Behavior:
Hub Mesh enabled on both devices but all "Linked Devices" in each hub show OFFLINE. Hub Mesh screen does not show any Active Hubs on either device (meaning neither can see the other). I don't know how to confirm communication between the two devices. This all worked in 2.3.5 so maybe the mDNS change and my home setup is the culprit. I'm happy to supply and logs/details if someone can let me know what they need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Already tried:

• Disabling Hub Login Security (+ Reboot) on both hubs
  • Disabling (+ Rebooting) then re-Enabling (+ Rebooting) Hub Mesh

Have you given both hubs unique Hub name on LAN names in Settings > Hub Details? (This is new in 2.3.6, and it should eventually get figured out if you don't, but avoiding the possibility of an existing name being found in the first place -- the defaults would both be hubitat -- should make it faster...)

Of course, PiHole (or something else on your network?) getting in the way of mDNS is another possibility, but if you're just using it for DNS on your WAN connection, I can't see why it would.

3 Likes

Brilliant! That fixed it immediately. I missed the Hub name on Lan update in the Release Notes. Thanks much for the incredibly quick reply!

1 Like

So are you saying we should leave the hub name on lan set to “hubitat” on multiple hubs or each hub should have a unique name here?

Unique names. Otherwise, there is confusion on which one is which.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll update mine now

I'm running two C8's on a common subnet, each running FW 2.3.8.134. They are named hubitat1 and hubtitat2 on Hub Details | Hub name on Lan. Neither sees the other on the Hub Mesh | Active hubs page. Unfortunately, I've updated the firmware several times since I last saw this working, but it did work fine on a previous firmware release.

I've tried disabling mesh on both C8's, rebooting, re-enabling mesh on both, rebooting - to no effect. Both C8s are detected on the iphone app and from my Hubitat online account.

I don't know whether it's significant, but the hubs enumerate as Hubitat1.localdomain rather than Hubitat1.local. See local IP scan results below.

Any suggestions?