2.3.5.13X Progress on Zigbee

This is by design, as not all parents will handle child devices swapped out from under them without problem:

(Sometimes the parent app or device may provide a way for you to do a swap within the app or driver, or have an "unofficial" method of doing so via DNI swaps, as long as the parent--which you cannot change--remains the same, but that depends on the device. I've rarely seen one that offers any "official" way of doing even that.)

That is a shame, thanks for the info.

Hubitat version V 2.3.5.123

I have another odd situation with the zigbee comms, not sure when this started happening, the system worked as expected with the C7.

I have an office light controlled by a zigbee button.

endpointId: 01

application: 14

firmwareMT: 1241-0040-00000014

manufacturer: Samjin

model: button

softwareBuild: 00000014

An app routine detects the button press and toggles the office light. This used to work with no issue. Now, assuming the light starts in the off state, it will come on for 2 seconds, then turn off for 2 seconds then come back on and stay on. Press the button again and the cycle repeats the other way, off for 2 seconds, back on for 2 seconds then off and stays off. Interesting that overall the functionality is as required but a little disconcerting when you used it.

The sniffer trace is odd in that it shows only 2 sequence numbers used by the button (one for on and the other for off) however there is apparently a repeat of the command 2 seconds after a push (with the same sequence number, maybe a retransmission because there was no Ack detected from Hubitat?) but I am not familiar with the messaging at this point (the button issues : ZCL IAS Zone: Zone Status Change Notification messages).

I have a trace of this situation if it would be of any use.

What is the actual device?, is this an ST button?, can you post a picture of it?

I just added mine on 124, not seeing any delayed double messages.
If you move it closer to the hub, then do a battery pull on it, does it still report incorrectly?

I have two of these on my C8 on .124, use them to control switches, and do not see any delays/doubling of messages. Driver:

I have 4 of these on my C-8. Same firmware. No issues on .124.

It is on the door to the office with Hubitat in it so it is about 3 feet from the Hubitat C8. I changed the battery yesterday to see if that would fix it so it has a new one in it. The reported battery level is now 82, it was around 60 yesterday.
I agree it is odd, I have the same type of switch in other places without issue at the moment which is why I wonder if it is just that Hubitat has lost it in some way and is not acknowledging the messages causing the switch to retransmit maybe, even so with the sequence number the same I would not have thought Hubitat would execute the command again unless losing the route in some way affects the rule handling..... just rambling, sorry.

Maybe just try resetting it and joining again. It usually takes months for mine to drop the battery level that much.
Edit: Many months. I can’t even remember the last time I changed one, except for the one in the refrigerator that is out in the garage. I only get around 6 months out of that one.

1 Like

Agree...odd behavior. A reset/re-join is probably just what the doctor ordered.

1 Like

maybe a router somewhere is missing these...

What is your Zigbee power level?

If you are still running at the default of 16, you might try decreasing the power to 12 or even to 8. At a distance of 3 ft, the hub radio might be overloading the front end of the receiver of the radio in the Zigbee button. That would cause distortion. Reducing power might help.

After a couple of weeks of zigbee issues since a week after the upgrade to a C-8 I finally lowered the power level to 8 and for 3 days it appears to have fixed the issues and my house is working again like it did on the C-7. I did try power level 12 for a couple of days but did not see any improvements.

My Disclaimer: I have a 3000 sq/ft house on 3 levels. I have had a C-7 hub, SmartThings hub, and a Hue hub on the same shelf on the middle level of the house, and about 2ft above on another shelf, there is a Netgear Orbi Satellite model RBR750. I added the C-8 right next to the Orbi Satellite that is running both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networking. I have 6 dedicated Zigbee repeaters that I feel have made my 140+ ZigBee mesh near perfect over the last 18 months.

For a solid week to 10 days after the upgrade to the new C-8 I had no issues at all. Since then, I have not seen anything drop off the network, just devices sometimes working and sometimes not.

When I lowered the power level to 8 I also moved the C-8 down a shelf about 12 inches away,

Lastly, I moved my outdoor Hue motion sensor back to the C-7 hub when things went bad since I climbed up and down a ladder 4 times resetting and rejoining before and during the hub updates. I don't like ladders so I will wait until 3 more full moons and smoke signals from others before I go back up.

4 Likes

What brand\type of repeaters are you using?

1 Like

Keen repeaters? Are those four Keen bridges working as repeaters? IIRC folks here have complained mightily in the past about Keen stuff being problemmatic.

Love the Sonoff USB Dongles, I have four or five of them...good choice. :+1:

1 Like

With your Orbi mesh routers, C8, C7 and SmartThings Zigbee radios all trying to coexist in the 2.4 gHz band, there is lots of potential for signal interference. The Zigbee radios should all be on different Zigbee channels and these channels should be selected as to avoid interference from the stronger WiFI channels. If you have BlueTooth devices, they also use the same band. If your channels are not selected carefully, you will have instability.

You might want to check out this article to see how your system is following best practices.

[ ZigBee and Wi-Fi Coexistence | MetaGeek]

I used to have a Smartthings hub, but migrated everything to the Hubitat C7 and mothballed the Smartthings hub. When I got the C8, I migrated everything to the C8 and mothballed the C7. My house is similar to yours in size with two floors and a basement. I have over 180 devices running on my C8 and it handles them without issue. Admittedly, I do have 14 Zigbee plugs that also function as repeaters. I suggest you attempt to get rid of the older hubs unless you absolutely need them to run devices that won't run on the C8. While the Smartthings hub might be needed, I doubt you need to keep the C7.

2 Likes

Platform Version

Prior to upgrade had 16 devices connected to Hubitat (mainly JASCO switches), around 4 – 6 not working at any one time.

Updated the hub and left if for a few days. All non-working devices (JASCO switches) seemed to start working reliably.

I decided to re-migrate the 8 devices (6 JASCO switches and 2 Sengled bulbs) I had moved to Home Assistant back to Hubitat the switches transferred back with no issue however Hubitat did not seem to be able to re-pair the Sengled bulbs. The next day however 5 of the old previously working devices (JASCO switches) had stopped (Hubitat not sending commands to them), so far all the re-joined switches are still working ok.

The Sengled bulb pairing issue is as before, the bulb acknowledges initial pairing but then times-out and goes back to un-paired mode, looking at the traces it seems that after the initial pairing acknowledgement both sides are waiting for something, after 20 seconds the bulb gives up. The bulbs pair with Home Assistant without issue.

Sengled bulb:

endpointId: 01

application: 26

firmwareMT: 1160-80CC-00000026

manufacturer: sengled

model: E21-N1EA

softwareBuild: 00000026

129 is in beta now and has some fixes for zigbee 3.0 join issues.
If that doesnt help with the sengleds let me know and ill dig through my pile and see if i have one with the same firmware you posted.