2.3.5.124 zigbee worse C8

Sure they do...just stick a screwdriver across the wire terminals :smiley:

2 Likes

Shut down the hub.
Remove power.
Wait 15 minutes.
Restore power.

Give it a little and see if things are better.

1 Like

@fdelima - As in hours rather than minutes...Zigbee meshes are self-healing and while it might not come up from the reboot "fixed" it may resolve the routing/control issues if you give it some time.

No...this is like JG Wentworth...I need a rebuilt mesh NOW!!!

2 Likes

Is he still in the community forum? I thought he left for Wink.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the tips.... Ive tried all... and yes its kinda like "whack-a-mole".. one device has improvement while another deteriorates - no pattern at all .... i will give it more time....

1 Like

Agreed. I know I sound like a broken record, but it took nearly a week for my zigbee mesh to heal from being fubar'ed.

Everything is still good. Just updated to .125 this morning.

1 Like

I don't have the problems you guys do, but I've taken to doing the rebuild with every reboot thing. I think "reboot" is reboot of the hub rather than just zigbee. Setting that and doing a hub reboot, I think in the course of a firmware update, got rid of a "phantom" child device-a device that i had apparently removed a while ago.

All the zigbee devices seemed to work and work snappily after the hub reboot; even the devices in the garage and basement-the "canaries in the coal mine", for me. This is despite the fact that the child/parent chart starts off pretty empty as it builds.

So, for me, there doesn't seem to be a downside of rebuild on reboot. Could there be?

Rebuild has a weird buggy side effect (still present in .125); it causes loss of neighbor router connectivity which only manifests itself on the next reboot of the hub.

You won't see this if you always 'Rebuild' after rebooting the hub, but if you happen to turn off 'Rebuild on reboot', the mesh will be hosed next time the hub restarts until you do any of the following: reboot again (assuming you haven't done a 'Rebuild' previously), reboot the Zigbee radio, or wait 40-90 minutes (the links to neighbor routers start working again for reasons unknown).

4 Likes

You mean reboot the HE - I am doing that with the Reboot app, nightly at 245am.. is that what you mean ?

Yes.

Update to 2.3.5.125 and then turn off the nightly reboot and let the mesh settle if you can for two to three days and see if things are improving.

Why are you rebooting the hub every day?

(There was possibly a need to do so long ago with the C-5 and much earlier software. I've two C-7 hubs and I've never ever had the desire to reboot them on a regular basis. They only reboot when a new release (beta or otherwise) comes out)

3 Likes

Ahh ok...

When a mesh "settles", and I reboot HE.. does HE have to rebuild the mesh from scratch again ??

If you have set the rebuild on reboot setting enabled, then yes, the Zigbee network is rebuilt everytime you reboot your hub. That's not generally recommended by HE's Zigbee master.

My suggestion is also generally about letting the hub run normally for a few days so you can try to ID/resolve issues you may have rather than masking/hiding them with daily reboots. Usually better to solve the problem if feasible.

1 Like

I am rebooting the HE every night as an action I took on my C7.. i had wemo switches all over the place and HE-C7 had issues over the course of the day to manage them.. the reboot of HE seemed to clean things up... Ive since burned all my wemos and replaced them with zigbee switches on my C8 but I still kept the practice of rebooting HE..

Definitely not recommended practice.

4 Likes

I think that you’ll find that your Zigbee mesh is much better with age. It seems to me at least that devices are faster and more reliable the further out from a reboot the hub is.
It’s been my experience that Zigbee problems are most likely to occur when the hub is rebooted. I will say that I also used to reboot my hub periodically a couple years ago due to low memory problems that would otherwise manifest, but not nightly. Now that I have the C-8, I moved Echo Speaks and some other memory intensive apps to my extra C-5 and still have over 400MB of free memory on my other 2 hubs days after a reboot. It made a big difference.

2 Likes

Ok will definitely stop the rebooting app... hopefully help... certainly wont hurt.. What you guys are saying makes total sense.. I'm just embarrassed that I didn't realize earlier..

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.