[2.3.4.117 C7] Ring Gen 2 Keypad

I just added a Ring Gen 2 Keypad to my system.

I'm having issues with my new keypad.

1. Before I added any codes, when I pressed one of the Disarm/Home/Away buttons, I got some java errors.

1. When I click "configure" in the device, I get this error:

1. When I click the "Set Partial Function", I get this error (it apparently needs a parameter that isn't prompted for?):

And, after I tried adding codes/people though the Lock Code Manager app, now the device won't respond to anything I press (code+Home, just "Home", any of the other keys, etc.).

I then set the code length and removed all the codes and re-added one--still no luck.

Nothing I press on the keypad sends anything to the hub--the keypad beeps when I press any of the buttons, but it doesn't respond and it doesn't send anything to the hub.

Note that it is RECEIVING commands (it responds to "Arm Away", "Arm Home", "Disarm", etc. commands from the hub)--but it isn't seeming to send anything back.

I excluded it and let the Smart Start try again. During that process, the log showed this:

(it never set the name, using "Ring Alarm Keypad G2" instead; apparently, the error killed the installation before it completed).

Note: it was not ever responsive to a manual inclusion attempt.

@bcopeland Any ideas?

Note: I removed it from my Hubitat and included it onto my Ring system

It claimed the firmware was "up to date".

I then removed it from Ring, factory reset it, and added it back to my Hubitat.

At least part of the issue seems to be the "Configure" operation missing a critical parameter (as noted above--shown again below)--so not sure what to try next.

Thanks.

Device page:

Can you try using the community driver and flipping the switch to diable the proximity sensor.

Well. I'm not seeing "Configure" blowing up (and the driver has a LOT more features)...

But I'm still not seeing responses FROM the keypad.

Also, when I clicked "ArmHome" from the device page, it triggered HSM to do that--but the keypad showed nothing at all. However, when I much later sent an "Off" command, the keypad decided it was "Home and Armed" (spoke up--then the light showed up as expected). But, no keypad presses seem to work.

All in all, it's super wonky--because it will show the "armed state" sometimes for a while when I press a key. But, then, after messing around, it shows nothing (pressing a key just makes them all go white). And, sometimes it isn't responsive to commands from the device page (like "Siren")-but pressing "Configure" (or, a time or so, pressing "Off") suddenly gets it back. Super odd.

At the moment, it's maybe 12-15' from the hub (yet, it decided to route thru a repeater dimmer switch that's farther away? I did a "repair" and that seemed to make it hook up directly).

@bptworld Any ideas?

Did you try turning the switch for proximity sensor.

Yep. Turned the "Disable Proximity Sensor" to on.

(but it didn't seem to matter?)

Sorry, I'm no longer maintaining the community driver. I've since switched all my keypads to a Ring hub for a more 'secure' security system. :wink: (using the Unofficial Ring app)

But, if the keypad doesn't work with the official driver, it won't work with the community driver either.

BTW, I also posted in the community driver thread that anyone that wants to take over the driver can branch it off and do as they please to it.

Yeah, I have 2 keypads directly connected to my Ring system for that purpose and have used the "Unofficial Ring App" since the day I got my Hubitat (in fact, its existence was the very reason using Hubitat was even a consideration :slight_smile: ).

I snagged a new Ring keypad to see if I could use it to do "special things" but it's not working as expected.

The built-in driver has issues with some code issues, in that the "Configure()" option blows up--so it's hard to tell if that one actually initialized the keypad properly--which yours seems to handle better.

Given the need to understand how the Ring Keypad does things internally, it's kinda hard to tell if it's talking to the hub at all. And, if not, why not. It does seem to have a bit of a mind of its own.

1 Like

That sounds like a mesh/reception issue. How did you pair it to the hub? The keypad can be a bit finicky about pairing properly and completely.

Have you checked your zwave settings to make sure there are no ghosts?

I know reception problem doesn't make sense with it so close to the hub, but zwave routing can be strange and ring security devices can be a little picky with how they work.

1 Like

It's like 12 feet from the hub, so it shouldn't have "mesh issues" (it is currently showing a direct route to the hub).

I am running the latest hub firmware (from this new release). I have enough devices that the various Z-Wave firmware bugs have been an issue. But, generally, things are fine when there's not much traffic.

The ONLY way it would pair was to use the "Smart Start". I used the defaults it chose for that (S2 Access Control, SmartStart Boot Mode).

A manual inclusion wouldn't work at all (as others have seemed to notice also).

1 Like

I agree it shouldn't, but zwave on the 700 chip can be strange.

Go into the zwave settings page and make sure you dont have a button for Firmware Upgrade. If you do click on it and let it finish. Check and make sure you don't have any ghosts. If you see a device without a route trigger some activity on it and refresh the page. Ghosts can be very bad for anzwave network.

Yeah, as I noted above, I performed the firmware upgrade that came with 2.3.4 on my hub.

I have a Z-Wave Toolbox (pairs as a secondary controller, I believe). Oddly, it had no routes--so I removed/re-paired it. We'll see what happens now.

Hmm... Whether it was that or other things, things seem to be better behaved at the moment... fingers crossed!

...I may have spoken too fast.

It was working great for a bit--then, it went berserk when I tried a code that was 1 digit longer than allowed (for grins)... It's picky for sure.

It appears there is some sort of protocol bug in the driver, perhaps. In certain situations, I suspect the keypad isn't getting a response from the hub that it expects--and it is stuck in a "waiting for an answer from the hub" state and isn't sending traffic until it "times out".

As I recall, that was an issue with other devices using S2. Not sure quite out to debug that one, tho.

While, initially, it seemed to reset itself after a bit (perhaps some "off" and "configure" commands helped), at the moment it is no longer is sending commands to the hub at all (it generally responds to hub commands--but there are some hiccups). This is a bit of an odd beast (perhaps being an S2 Access Control device isn't helping).

How busy is your Zwave environment. Do you have any devices doing power reporting or a zooz Zen25.

It could also be firmware related on the Ring device. My kepad seems to have a older firmware revision. I have seen sevearl folks recently complaining about problems with new firmware from ring.

My keypad can be finiky at times, But I suspect that is related to my Zen25. It was rock solid early on but if any device is going to have a problem it does seem to be the Ring Gen 2 Keypad for me. I really should remove my zen25 and see if the occasional drops for it go away.

Me also. It seems to be the canary in the coal mine.

Well, at times it gets busy--but it should have been pretty idle when I was testing. No power reporting, no Zen25.

I suspect it's some S2 issues.

@bcopeland I recall that you had to do some special work on the Ring Gen 2 Door Contact sensors to keep the S2 stuff "in sync". I'm a complete noob on the gory details of S2, so I don't recall what it is you had to fix. I'm wondering if it could be something similar.

At the moment, my keypad isn't getting anything sent to the hub and is a bit off receiving at times.

In this thread:

@bcopeland mentioned something about "nonces" getting out of sync. What does it take to get them back INTO sync? I am wondering if that is what I'm seeing with my Ring Keypad??

Where I'm seeing things get hosed up is when things like entering an invalid or too long of a code is done--so these might be semi-"edge" cases. Something happened that has my keypad pretty much locked out and this is what I'm wondering about.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.