[2.3.3.130] Lights Activator doesn't pick up correct state

Did you set the Activator Device from HomeKit? Did you specify both Color Temperature and Level? Perhaps the Activator Device level was already 20. Could you take a screenshot of the Logs please for the app when you activate it with the Activator Device. Could you also show a screenshot of the Current States from the Activator Device device page, right side.

One more thing to test: turn on the Activator Device from its device page by entering 6500 and 100 into the Set Color Temperature tile, and clicking on that tile. Let me know if the lights come on as expected. Should be off prior to test.

Here are the logs from a "off" state, turning on via homekit (the test activator device exposed directly to hk)

Edit: Actually this is what I was last describing, lights turn on, at ~20%, sits a bit, then goes to 100% and the 6535 color temp. So its turning them on then applying the parameters.

That's a different one than you showed above. I'm not seeing anything about 20% in those logs. Also, the command given to the Activator Device was ON, not Set Color Level. Plus, this instance must have two things Activating it, when there should be only one. Or were you doing that on purpose? 3 seconds later.

Again, activating with Means to Activate won't use ZGM. And, when activating with Activation Device, it will follow the command given to the Activation Device. This is exactly how Group-2.1 would work also.

You don't have this one set up properly, and aren't commanding it properly either.

So the only thing activating is the activator device installed by the lighting rule, its stock except what you suggested in the previous post, and the bulb itself doesn't show 20% but it come on dim, gets dimmer, then goes back to 100% from a visual standpoint.

Would you please turn them off and do the test where you give a Set Color Temperature command to the activator device's device page, commanding CT of 6500 and level of 100.

What is the device called "Dining Room Lights' vs the device called 'Test Dining Room'?

It would certainly help if you'd stick to one automation, and show its setup screenshot.

Activator off:

Manually changing level:

Manually changing color temp:

Turning on the activator from hk:

I still don't know what is what: What is "Dining Room Lights" switch? What is the name of the Activator Device on the RL setup page lower right corner (see below)?

Oh I see in my first log. See the latest logs, that’s another physical switch that I disconnected for the time being to test the dining room with only the activator, sorry about that. Test dining room is the activator device.

OK, so when you commanded from the device page, did it work as you expected?

No it does the same thing, though that’s expected right? If I only “turn on” the activator device it turns on low, dims further, then goes to 100. Same as when passed to homekit. If I set the color temp or level manually though it is immediate.

This must be the devices themselves in how they respond to ON command. You can test this using one of their device pages. Try the two ways of doing it: Set Color Temperature 6500/100, and just On. Starting from off each time.

If what you want to do with HomeKit is ON, then you need an intermediary rule. Basic Rule would work for this, or RM, or even RL. The trigger is when the device given to HomeKit turns on, and the action is setColorTemperature(6500/100) on the Activator Device.

I just tested that and it is instant on to 100/6525.

Tested what exactly?

Turning off individual lights and verifying on/off works as expected independently of the lighting automation

1 Like

So effectively you're saying that ON via Zigbee Group Messaging goes through this 20% intermediate stage before finally getting to 100%. I've never seen that, but ??

Meanwhile, using the intermediary rule so that they are always commanded with setColorTemperature to the Activator will get the result you want, so you never send them an ON with ZGM.

1 Like

Thank you for all the support on this. I think I narrowed it down now, I set everything up again and HomeKit works good now, automations ran great since last night and popcorn-ing is gone on Activator Device and when passed to HomeKit. I still get each light turning on and off individually when using a physical wall-mounted zigbee switch though for some reason but I can live with that. The switch was added as an activator device for on and off, maybe thats expected? In any case its looking MUCH better.

Yes, but you could fix this with an intermediary app that is triggered by the switch, and then sets the ColorTemperature and level on the activator device.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks again for all of this. My wife also thanks you :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.