2.2.9.146 BUG: Export/Import/Clone

You can't use local dateTime variables as triggers. You can use a Hub Variable dateTime as a trigger.

What are you trying to accomplish?

There is a bug in 2.2.9 that prevents having a variable time trigger for a future date and time. Fixed in 2.3.0, now in beta (fix in next beta release after build 2.3.0.105).

3 Likes

You should be aware that years are ignored in most contexts that use dateTime variables. For example, a variable dateTime used as a trigger of a rule, will trigger every year on the date (ignoring the year portion of the dateTime variable). Between two Dates also ignores the year.

I'm not sure whether this is something that should be addressed or not.

Why should it ignore the year part?
Isn't it part of the DateTime variable?
I can tell that this is going to have people say "DateTime" isn't working.

I'm just letting you know that it does. As I said, I'm not sure what to do about that, as there are lots of use cases for month/day and many fewer for month/day/year. I'm open to addressing this.

Please describe your use case...

Use case:
I have a known schedule in advance - I know the mm/dd/year (and time) that I want to over ride all HE rules, with other special rules . So I want to set a switch on those days.
I am currently doing this via a cron string, but it's had to explain cron to someone who isn't a techie:

It would help if you could describe a use case. The only reason you would need the year would be
to do something more than a year in the future on a specific date, but scheduled now. Please describe a use case where the year matters, because what you showed has 3 different dates all within a year.

I just took a screen shot of the first 3 times that I wanted to set this switch - which were this year.
In reality, we are talking about 8-10 days per year, going forward (I have to put next years dates in).
I have used a special website (freeformatter.com) to convert the actual dates to cron expressions.

This situation can occur:

1. when you have a special meeting whose dates (and times) are known in advance - e.g. board meetings of private/public companies
  2. at work when you have special status meetings on the third Tuesday of each month (for example)
  3. When you want set the locks of a multi-unit to be changed on the first day of each month
  4. When you want a reminder to change your air filter every 60 days
    etc....

All of these cases work as it is now. And I'm wrong about it ignoring the year. The UI doesn't display the year where it should. That will be fixed.

1 Like

On the contrary, it does ignore the year, because it just executed - in the wrong year.
(On 2.2.9 - I haven't upgraded yet to the next version. Was this fixed in 2.3.0 ?)

I'm referring to 2.3.0, which is in beta. There are some things being sorted with this.

Then, when annually is selected:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.