[2.2.7.125] Z-Wave Ghost Nodes

Ahh but it did.. It didn't find a matching fingerprint.. so it matched it to "Device"

Yup.. just matched up the manufacturer / deviceType / deviceId:
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1289?selectedFrequencyId=2

Thanks, but this opens up another can of worms then. I do have that device but I have NEVER tried to pair it with this C7. I use to have it paired to my C3 but didn't have any need to connect it to the new C-7.

So why would it grab it? What if this would have been my neighbors device? Not good that it would randomly grab a device I didn't try to pair.

But problem solved on the node. I can now delete it. Thanks.

3 Likes

It would have to have been not in a network and sent a NIF (Node Information Frame) while you were in inclusion mode.

@bcopeland Just FYI this is what I was always getting as well when trying to remove ghosts on my C7 (network busy). Then it would basically bring the whole network to a halt if I kept trying and I would have to reboot. Once I got a USB stick I went in with that and two clicks and they were gone. Come to think of it the whole thing has been much more stable since I got rid of them.

Typically, I would do the same @jtp10181 and I’ve never had any problems removing them with a stick as you noted.

Let me know if you’d like me to proceed with additional troubleshooting @bcopeland otherwise I can take my usual path here..

1 Like

You can go ahead.. I have the information I need now.. Thanks

Is there a guide to the status values?

I got: Failed node 49 remove status: 1

Update: after reloading z-wave details it appears the device is gone now.

2 Likes

Sure:

2 Likes

I had tried removing this device a day or two ago and I got the dreaded "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy" message. So surprised it worked this time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My current ghost device issue was caused when removing a particular Zooz device. I have since reset this device. Is there any concern with me adding this specific device back into the network while there is still a ghost device for the same physical device? Or should I first wait until I am able to get rid of this ghost device?

I have ordered a UZB Stick and will receive it tomorrow. Would you prefer I wait a while to use the Stick to delete the ghost device? Or is it likely that troubleshooting and resolving this problem is going to take a while?

Sooo, bcopeland, what are you thinking???

I'm having issues removing a ghost node also. I'm seeing this in the logs after hitting remove:

sys:12021-05-16 17:47:56.893 Failed node 0F remove status: no reply
sys:12021-05-16 17:47:46.914 Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
sys:12021-05-16 17:47:16.868 Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.

And sometimes:

sys:12021-05-16 17:48:36.411 Failed node 0F remove status: 2

The device has been reset manually. Will I need to remove power from the device? It's currently still wired into the light switch and I hope to be able to re-include it eventually.

This is likely the device responded and as such is still active in the mesh..

Thank you upfront for any help. @bcopeland

C7 running 2.2.7.126

clicked "refresh", takes about 5 seconds, page refreshes, shows this:

click "remove". takes about 15 seconds, page refreshes, still shows this:

Logs show this:

thoughts?

Every time I've seen that zwave busy message I've had to shutdown the hub from the menu and pull power for about 30 seconds to be able to remove ghosts. Pulling the power is the only way I know of actually shutting down the zwave radio. Just be sure to pull the power from the wall side since the connector to the hub is pretty delicate. Once it comes back up do the refresh thing and then remove.

4 Likes

I use a smart plug on another hub to kill power to the hub. Large home 200 plus devices. Had over time at least 20 ghosts. The smart plug saved a lot of time.

Do you make sure it is shut down before turning off the power? “Pulling” the power otherwise could cause DB corruption…

2 Likes

I hope you were not replying to me. UI Shutdown takes about 15 seconds so I wait 30 then I turn off the plug. Wait 60 seconds then turn the plug back on and wait about 3 minutes for the C-7's and the C-5's are back at in about 2 minutes. Not sure why the c-5's seem to boot faster.

2 Likes

I have tried this multiple times. I run the shutdown function, and then kill power to hub. wait 2 minutes. turn power on, immediately login to try again, and get same result. Network busy. Any other things to try? I dont own a windows PC, so not sure the zstick method is a good option, but that may be my only choice. I have three ghosts, and the network has been unreliable since they showed up.

Would wait for @bcopeland to see if he can fix the issue with removing these type of ghosts.