2.2.3 Update - Unresponsive C5 Hub

There were some database updates in 2.2.3.. If you have a particularly large database, this process may take longer than usual.

2 Likes

Sure enough, the hub booted just fine. About 20 minutes I'd guess. Thanks all!

4 Likes

The latest 2.2.3 does a big one-time cleanup on startup. It might take a while depending on how many devices there are and how much event/state history is around at the time of upgrade. Give it time to complete, it's not really stuck.

3 Likes

Need a better progress bar then. :slight_smile: "Pruning xxx of yyy records"

Or, we can just all be patient. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, so i need to be a bit more patient! Install finished and hub looks to be running well.

Thanks guys for sorting this out

2 Likes

I updated my C-5. It was "stuck" on 15% for quite a while, but I was patient and let it finish. After the reboot, a system message said that the z-wave radio was disabled. I have a rule that periodically turns the z-wave radio off and then back on again. I ran that rule and there was no change. I waited a little while, then rebooted. The radio came back on. I ran a z-wave repair and it completed with no problems. All seems to be OK now. :crossed_fingers:

@bcopeland Mine has been stuck at 15% for over 35min and counting... should I be worried?

@bcopeland apparently not! looks like 37min is what it needed... all good so far - it's on at least!

1 Like

This was supposed to be a one time cleanup taking a few minutes, but it (obviously) takes much longer for some hubs. Next public release is going to do this cleanup entirely in the background, even if it means hub running a bit slower at first. If you waited the 15% delay out with 2.2.3.135, the "slower" part doesn't apply - this is a one time cleanup, and your hub is done and over with it.

1 Like

Does it really just do it once, or does it only take an ungodly long time once, but does it on every restart.

There is a one-time situation when cleanup has to get rid of 2000 events/states per device/attribute and trim it to new default value. This is what takes ungodly long time - much more than anticipated.

Once done, the same cleanup happens about once an hour, on the lowest priority. It is much less intrusive - you'd have to monitor the hub closely to notice when it's happening. On the next restart, same cleanup adds a few seconds at most, since there's not much for it to do.

1 Like

I just updated my hub to 2.2.3.135. Was stuck on 15% for about 7 minutes then it continued and booted up as expected. My hub is fairly new...only been using for a few weeks with about 130 devices.

So far, so good. Thanks for all the input everyone! Thanks Hubitat for a resolution!

Could this be the spikes in latency I have seen in Hub Watchdog, but not otherwise perceived? The latency always drops afterwards, so I was wondering if I was seeing the results of some kind of cleanup/maintenance. Could the Watchdog program be triggering the cleanup, or running at lower priority than the cleanup? It just seems odd that I would be able to catch these spikes only having the app run once or twice per hour, and never see any actual device slowdowns.

1 Like

Hmmm. For the first time in months I'm noticing a few seconds latency occasionally on some recessed door sensors on my C-5 after updating to 2.2.3.135. I've got a very small set of devices, one Zigbee SmartThings multi sensor and 2 Zigbee repeaters, 8 Z-Wave devices plus 4 Z-Wave repeaters, plus Lutron Pro Hub with fifty something lights, plus Hue hub with 8 or so Hue bulbs and light strips, never a problem before. My C-7 is powered but has no devices, apps, or drivers because I'm waiting for things to stabilize before migrating. Perhaps I will roll back to an earlier firmware and see if the occasional latency periods disappear. This is consuming a lot of effort with no benefits. I realize the Hubitat engineers are working hard and I appreciate that.

Yep, my main C5 took 35 minutes to complete the startup. Once running it is now running at twice the speed compared to 2.2.2. Virtual switch response times using watchdog have gone from 150ms to about 75ms. However, my C4 hub started off being on par with 2.2.2 after the upgrade, but is now about 50% slower than before the upgrade. Hopefully this doesn't happen to the C5 as well.

As others have noticed (don't know if it was in this thread or in another one) I too have the occasional 5.1s delay on my virtual switch responses now after the upgrade.

My non-C7 setup (2 C4s and C5) seems to be working fine. Particularly no issues with the C5 after that earlier lockup glitch several updates ago.. all hubs on the latest firmware - 2.2.3.135

Same exact thing happened again today... No response from IP or IP:8081 until I logged into the mobile app

C-3, 2.2.3.135

Edit: @bobbyD, Lots of slowness today, UI times out, editing a rule can take 15-30 seconds or more to update screens, wasn't able to open a device from the device page...

Just tried to update my C5. I let it run. When it restarted 404. Went to the forums, found this thread. I tried to revert to an older version .119. The revert worked but I tried to restart. I can't access my IP. I can still access IP:8081. What should I do now?

Run a soft reset and try to restore a backup.

2 Likes

Worked thanks

1 Like