1hr before sunset piston

I’m confused on my piston. I’m trying to write a rule to turn on a group of lights 1 hr before sunset. Why does it say past?

That's really difficult to read - much easier for folks to help you if you can post a screen shot from your computer.

2 Likes

Take a screenshot of the edit screen of line 13 or post a green snapshot.

If I were you I'd switch to a timed event. The IF will work, but the logic of a timed event would be a better trigger for your event.

Here's and example of your IF:

Here's an example if a timed event instead:

I know this isn't the point of this topic, but is there any reason not to set this up using other HE built-in apps?

Right.... now I'll shrink away into the background... :slight_smile:

1 Like

The negative offset is the key to acting before a certain time, in case that was not obvious. I agree, though, that the Timer is the more elegant solution for this straightforward example.

A few off the top of my head ..

1. Transferring legacy webCoRE automations from SmartThings
  2. Visual preference for the pseudo-code layout
  3. Baked-in web editor that can be accessed remotely without subscription (but still runs locally)
2 Likes

I hate to harp-on the point... Says the person about to do just that :slight_smile:

The act of transferring automations already in the webcore format from ST, that one I can accept. While my natural inclination would be to say move to a more commonly supported app, the fact that webcore has become on of those, the argument / justification is somewhat mute.... But take it as you will...

The code-layout vs the visual alternatives in HE web-UI.... I get that.... I'm also a code-native and often find myself grappling with (more and more web-based) UI's that don't provide what I need. While I could pass this one on to the HE dev's, it feels like the webcore and RL solve this by catering to the different .... parts of the spectrum in this respect :slight_smile:

Not sure about number 3.... Not that it worries me in terms of my setup.... But do you mean that webCore can be accessed remotely without the need for a subscription or VPN?

First, my apologies to the OP for a slight detour. For #3, yes. The security catch is that it must first be registered on the local network. My phone and laptop were registered, so I can access globally.

I advocate for everyone to try the native tools. From time to time, I go back and try them - most recently making a few Zooz switches into button controllers. Thank goodness the platform is flexible enough to allow for multiple flavors.

1 Like

I feel like I was driving that train :slight_smile: So probably my apology to make to @mjruotolo.

1 Like

Agree completely with your points. I've used both webCoRE and RulesManager (although not recently) and liked both. As a matter of personal preference, I find the logic flow and interface of webCoRE to be more to my liking. Since webCoRE is now a Hubitat-native application with extensive support, I'm confident that either choice (webCoRE and RM) are both excellent choices.

First off thank you everyone for your help. I know this could be done easily in rule machine, but what fun is that? :slight_smile:. Personally, I like to keep all my automations in 1 place, and I prefer the GUI of webcore.
@sburke781 No need to apologize, its good sometimes to go off topic. It's a way to create new Ideas.

@Prometheus_Xex I will give that a go Thank you.

3 Likes

Have you looked at the "AddHours" function?

https://wiki.webcore.co/Functions#addHours