12 Ghost Nodes. Nuke and Reboot?

Yes, I know.

1 Like

I also am not holding up much hope for the Zwave LR changes. I don't think that there will be a measurable impact until I change all my devices to LR, and that will take YEARS!
(I thought that the 700 series was going to be my saviour, and look where that got me!)

1 Like

Like what, for example?

I recently spent a boatload on a Lutron RadioRA 2 and Sevoia shade system. The high reliability of Lutronā€™s radio protocol itself (ClearConnect) and consequently, excellent end-device communication with the main/auxiliary repeaters in my house were a huge reason why.

Itā€™s possible to DIY a RadioRA 2 installation, but I went with the pro installer route for the Lutron switches and shades in my house because I seriously did not feel like replacing each switch myself (even though Iā€™ve learned how to do that thanks to my home automation hobby). Plus I donā€™t think anyone can DIY Lutronā€™s Sivoia or Triathlon shade product lines, theyā€™re dealer install only AFAIK.

A year into living here, I donā€™t regret it at all. Tying the Lutron devices into Hubitat has made my homeā€™s automation capabilities even more substantial, but if I didnā€™t want to spend any additional time on that, I couldā€™ve stuck with Lutronā€™s much less flexible options for controlling and automating my lights and shades.

3 Likes

I can see one immediate impact that will make a huge difference. Having a switch on that detached garage or pool, equipped with a long range device, will ensure that the device won't take down the entire mesh if it's too far from your last repeater in your system.

Sounds like Hubitat is aware of the problem...

If you consider two-cycle engines having a "problem" because they mix oil and gas, then yes, we are aware of the problem.

1 Like

Donā€™t recall seeing the safety warning on a hubitat letting me know such a node can ruin my setup. I do recall seeing such a warning on every 2 cycle device that failure to mix oil will cause damage. Thatā€™s kind of where my frustration comes in. You only learn these ā€œproblemsā€ are ā€œnormalā€ after you experience them.

We cannot predict when something like that may happen, as it's largely based on user's practice. I view such warning similar to car manufacturers omitting to put warnings on steering wheels stating that driving straight into a tree may result in injuries.

1 Like

Sigh.

2 Likes

In the Silicon Labs marketing material library "Z-Wave - how to maximize your support costs"

4 Likes

Very well stated dman....
And that's fair too Bobby. Hubitat chose to market this hub as a mature consumer device, not a hobby device. Just as Hubitat marketing intended, people including myself bought it with the belief it would generate a straight forward and stable system. I will agree, as you implied some time ago, that Hubitat can't fix what Silicon Labs screws up. And as I indicated some time ago, in my opinion Hubitat is the best Hub/software system out there. However you must admit that Hubitat didn't make it clear that the Z-wave architecture still had some issues which could cause difficult to diagnose system failures. Hubitat should at a minimum warn buyers that issues may arise which will require significant troubleshooting and may not be resolvable at the novice experience level. That is not the impression which Hubitat marketing is giving. And for those who advocate "pro install", that's fine. Just put it in the marketing. That will be sufficient to disswuade the novice.

1 Like

A Z-wave pro install? I Haven't been reading the forum much lately, are people here advocating for a pro install of z-wave devices now? Pro tip would be not to go with any Z-wave devices if possible.

There is definitely a learning curve but that is true of any home automation hub with varying degrees of simplicity. My most "trouble free" :crossed_fingers: setup to date has been a client with a fairly large install with over 70+ Zw+ Switches and Dimmers (mostly Zooz Zen23/24s). Most issues have NOT been mesh/device related - just rule setup, integration with HomeKit etc.. A lot of that stuff I understood to be under my watch not Hubitat, Inc. Has been running since Aug '20.

1 Like

Yes. Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) will come to your home and do it right.

3 Likes