12 Ghost Nodes. Nuke and Reboot?

Absolutely! If it doesn’t pair by 30 seconds I expect to have a problem. My goal is usually get it to be paired before it hits 45.

1 Like

You guys are AWESOME

Ok, so first I tried bringing my hub to work (i run the firewall) and tried to get rid of ghost nodes there. I think I got rid of 1, maybe 2.

So, then I installed windows into parallels so I could use this Zwave PC controller with a series 700 Zooz stick I bought. While it is annoying that they don’t have a version that can run on mac (or that you could somehow run this utility right off the hubitat), it ended up cleaning things up QUITE nicely.

I’ve since added like 7 devices. 5 paired right away, no problems at all. 2 didn’t pair securely, so I had to do them a second time around, and then they worked.

Overall, response time in the network is significantly better, but more importantly, things like my locks and garage door openers which are NOT 700 series, obviously, and almost by definition are at the edges of the network now fire reliably!

Thank you guys!

5 Likes

Always check for ghosts after a failed pairing

I would agree with scunny. A non-geek homeowner that simply wants a home automation system that works should not need a PHD in CompSci. This is WAY too far down in the weeds for the novice user to which Hubitat markets this thing.
"...is outside of Hubitat's control."
If Silicon Labs is putting out a chipset that is causing problems like this, then maybe Hubitat shouldn't be marketing to the novice user.
I am reminded of the late 70's, early 80's when the mantra was "get it out the door now, we'll fix it later with revisions".
Hopefully Scilabs will do better with Matter and Thread.

1 Like

I get what you are saying, but what some might call it a "problem", others are calling it protocol "resilience". Z-Wave offers some benefits over Zigbee that many enjoy. Luckily for those whom Z-Wave protocol is overwhelming, we offer other protocols that are less difficult to maintain. As a good friend from another smart home platform always says, choice is good.

Check this video for more details on Z-Wave and Zigbee protocols:

4 Likes

I agree but I don’t think this is a fair statement as applied to Hubitat.

Home automation systems like Hubitat can require more setup and maintenance than many people would prefer to put into them, and that may limit mass market appeal beyond those with a penchant for DIY/hobbyists. Some other systems are simpler to use but far less capable in terms of automation capabilities or device compatibility (think Wink, for example).

But there’s very little advanced knowledge re: computer coding or networking required to create a very capable system at home with Hubitat. It’s more about a willingness (and interest) to spend time learning how the system works. And I say that as someone with no formal education or professional background in IT. I’m a geek nonetheless, so I do tend to enjoy spending time working on my system (up to a certain point, I have a life that extends beyond my Hubitat hub too).

How do you define novice user?

2 Likes

This is great! bookmarking - thanks for bringing it up. The only issue is Z-Wave S2 security on devices seems "problematic" right now and that can make a major difference in performance.

1 Like

I would think a novice might be a homeowner who desires capable home automation without needing to invest significant time in a steep learning curve.

That would need a pro installer.

2 Likes

S2 is less challenging than S0, but security is like that, in general, that's why some protocols don't even attempt to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Cannot blame Z-Wave for trying :wink:

1 Like

Home automation is as complicated as plumbing or A/C or other home subsystems. Sure you can do some simple stuff but when you want more then you need a certain baseline of understanding of what everything is and how it functions - in general before adding smart hubs into the mix.. just my 2 cents of course.

2 Likes

Agreed. Capable/Reliable automation requires an investment of time or a professional system.

1 Like

I have found that once my Z-Wave systems are in place and working they tend to stay that way barring a faulty device. The trick is getting to that magical stability point.. Zigbee seems to connect faster but also can drop off faster as well.

2 Likes

In reality, the flexibility of home automation can lead to complicated systems that require permanent attention. Keeping things simple are rewarding in many ways, less time spent on building scenarios or maintenance. The problem is that with great flexibility comes greater responsibility. Sometimes, just because you can, that doesn't mean you should. Just let others who have more time on hands do it for you.

2 Likes

Let me be clear, For my money Hubitat is by far the best Z-wave hub out there.
But after the 300, 400, 500, and 700 series you would think that a device on the edge of your mesh network would NOT be able to take your entire system to it's knees. Self healing should have been addressed in the 300 series and it still isn't fixed in the 700 series and apparently never will be because of 300, 400, 500 series shortcomings. Hubitat should make this clear to customers. I spent a boatload, over 107 mixed revision nodes . I didn't mind the cost, but I am exhausted going back to the books time after time to keep this mesh running.

1 Like

Well, prepare your wallet for Z-Wave long range. The star shaped network is about to make Z-Wave the protocol you desire.

4 Likes

I agree with this completely. I feel it is much better to look at Home Automation as a "subsystem" rather than an add-on with something like the Hubitat being more like an appliance. Like plumbing/AC this requires a certain level of maintenance and knowledge depending on how much effort you want to put in or pay people to do it for you..

One more thought on this. Smart home market is still in its infancy and changes constantly for the better. Regretting to have spent a boatload on devices, is like regretting that you had to purchase the Apple Computer 1, 40 some years ago.

The wallet is not an issue, but this time around the network is going to have to prove itself before I jump onboard. I don't have a lot of confidence in Silicon Labs. And 40 some years ago I spent another boatload on a huge X-10 system...and I did regret it.

1 Like

Silicon Labs is behind all popular protocols, including Zigbee and the poster boy that is yet to be a "thing", called matter. :slight_smile:

1 Like