1.1.5 TTS: Sonos

After the update thought Iā€™d try the Sonos TTS again.

Iā€™m testing it on a Sonos sound bar. I thought there was an option to resume the ā€œtrackā€ after the TTS message but I canā€™t find where to configure this, so the tv audio doesnā€™t kick back in ...

Am I missing a config somewhere ? (Activated via rule machine)

if the sonos is playing when the tts comes in it resumes, else it does nothing.

Ah, something has changed in the new firmware. It would always resume tv audio on my Sonos sound bar after TTS(albeit often the repeat message issue). Now it seems like the tv audio wonā€™t ā€œresumeā€...

Iā€™ll try with other Sonos speakers to see if it resumes Audio tracks

On a Sonos play 5 ... playing some music and then when it plays a TTS message the message gets repeated twice(every time) and then the audio doesnā€™t resume... seems like the issue is still present :frowning:

whats the source of this music?

Amazon music launched from Alexa ...let me try another source ...

I have not heard a double message since installing the update this morning, but I haven't listened to any music, or played a movie using the soundbar. I will put it through some tests right now and report back.

Itā€™s interesting ... launching amazon music through the Sonos app and then initiating a TTS message, it doesnā€™t double repeat but resumes the audio (restarts the track from the beginning though).

Starting the music from Alexa eg ā€œalexa play music in the loungeā€ and then initiating a TTS message it doubles up and doesnā€™t resume the music.

On my soundbar, no double message but TV audio isnā€™t resumed ..

Ok, I have not been able to get it to repeat the message, which is awesome by the way, but am having an issue when more than one sonos is playing music.

What I tried.
Started a movie on PLEX on a tv that has a connected SONOS Playbar
Movie audio started fine.
Opened a perimeter door.
Movie audio paused, TTS announcement played with no double announcement, Movie audio resumed. (perfect)
Tried it 7 times, every time perfect.

Stopped movie, opened sonos app, started playing a radio station from Google play on the sound bar.
Music started fine
Opened a perimeter door.
Music paused, TTS announcement played with no double announcement, Music started over at beginning of song. (Perfectly fine)

Added my Kitchen Sonos Play 3 to the Office soundbar group using the Sonos app. To clarify, Now two SONOS zones are playing the Google Music radio station.
Opened a perimeter door. Music paused, TTS played message without a double message, then music started back up only on the soundbar.
Looking in the Sonos app I can see that the Kitchen sonos has been dropped from the group.

Added the Kitchen back to the group.
Music was playing on both sonos zones.
Opened perimeter door
Same result as before. Both zones played the TTS message perfectly (one time), but the kitchen speaker was dropped from the group, and music did not start back up on the Kitchen play3

I have found with the sonos that if they are in a group and you send tts to anything other than the group leader it will split the group

E.g I made a sonos group by adding ā€˜landing speakerā€™ to ā€˜hall speakerā€™

If I send tts to the hall speaker group ... all ok
But if I send tts to the ā€˜landing speakerā€™ or select the group and the landing speaker it will play but split the group

This I have seen on both HE and ST

Andy

I just tried it again with both zones playing, and this time the Kitchen zone was not dropped. Both zones started the next song. So I guess you could say it worked perfectly. Hopefully this will be consistent.

Since I discovered this, I only send tts to the groups now.
Hasnā€™t split the group since.

Andy

So far TTS is much improved with this update! Your work is much appreciated @mike.maxwell !

1 Like

this use case was never tested, by me at least.

is the TV audio fed in via optical?, and the input on the play bar isn't set back?, although we have no interface for inputs in the driver...

@mike.maxwell
Mike, is there any plan to extend the 128 character limit for tts?

Andy

TV audio is via optical on my playbar. Music via wired lan

sure, what do you want it to be?
I know I asked this before, but really didn't get a solid answer LOL

1 Like

Will it cause any issues to be really quite high like 600?

Edit: if this is a negotiation can we pretend I asked for 1000? :slight_smile:

Andy

3 Likes

If there is a cost to Hubitat for this, how about a ā€˜Premiumā€™ service :wink:

Not sure if anyone else would, but I would be happy to pay for,this if it costs you guys.

Andy

EBITDAR is always good!