zwaveCrashed

For the last ~6 months, I have been experiencing randomly intermittent zwaveCrashed events where my mesh becomes unresponsive, and I have to shut down, unplug, wait, and restore. The Location Logs show zwaveCrashed and random times. This happened on my C-7 and now on my new C-8 (one week live, and the migration went without a problem). Over the 6 months, I have corrected two old ghosts. I have none now that I can see.

My first concern is that on my Zwave settings screen, the update appears and has for months. My understanding is that when that appears, there is an update to apply. After pressing that button, the update should happen, and the button should go away. So, when I press it, I get the spinner for about two seconds, and the spinner goes away. The button never goes away. Ever. So my first question is, do I have a Zwave firmware issue? Shouldn't the button go away?

I have read most of the posts on this subject, and they either suggest turning off sensors and test adding them back or totally rebuilding the mesh by deleting and re-adding all the devices. I have ~70 zwave devices, and 12 of them are sensors that are all connected to numerous complicated rules. Obviously, these are unpleasant options.

This problem is random, with days, weeks, or months between events. So, troubleshooting could take a long time to wait for reoccurrence. While I am currently running 2.3.5.145 for the HE firmware, this has happened on numerous versions over the months, so I do not think this is related to the HE version. I suspect corrupted zwave firmware.

I will supply my zwave table via PM to anyone who thinks that will help identify a problem. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

LJ

I suspect 2.3.8, which is in beta now, may fix your issue.

1 Like

That is always there and only to update the region setting right by that button. The actual Firmware update would say "Firmware Update". There has not been any updates for the C8.

For testing, you could use a virtual device and swap apps to move your automations to a test device then back to the new device once you exclude and pair again. No loss to automations. You can also factory reset the device then use z-wave replace to get it back to the same node. Check this guide: [Guide] Updating Firmware and ZWave Replace

Or this...

1 Like

So to tackle the easy stuff first, the update button that is on the Zwave details screen is to allow you to update the region; the Zwave version update is a completely different button. The crashes are something that is being looked at and actively pursued in the Beta side of the house and we’re hoping for a resolution soon.

Edit: see that @jtp10181 and I are in sync this morning😎

1 Like

My C-7 was in the beta program. I don't think my C-8 is. Can that be added to the beta. I will be reco figuring the C-7 to take on the web based stuff and some of the rules, but inwoild like to get the C-8 back in the beta.

Thanks for the responses. They are helpful as always.

LJ

Sure… PM me any hub id you want in beta

1 Like