Zwave TABLETOP Controllers

INSTEON 2402BK

Complaint thinking was wrong (rude?). Got 4 such keypads: aargh, guess I can’t even include a link in the post.

See later post, just can’t include a picture of the same keypad mounted in a tabletop enclosure.

There you go! Just what I have and just what I want for Hubitat zwave. Been talking with Zooz to offer a new product. So far, Zooz has worked out very well.

I have the Nexia. 15 buttons (5 buttons in 3 menus). Very happy with it. Only caveat for me is it requires two presses to execute a command after the keypad goes to sleep. First press is to wake it up. Second press sends the command. Subsequent commands will be sent as long as the keypad is awake. Also, the keypad needs to be awake for parameters to be saved (lost a bit of my sanity on that) and it is a bit pricy at around US$100. Fortunately the WAF is positive.

This was my first Zooz purchase and it exceeded my expectations. A perfect fit to my bedroom use case.

Those table top power things are interesting I have never seen something like that before. You could put the zooz 5 button remote into that thing. They have one that has one big button and then 4 little buttons below it.

Zen32 is the one

That would give you 5 buttons but then again you can do other stuff with the buttons.

Thank you. I just learned about the 32. I'm going to get one to try and fit it into what I now have. BTW, my suggestion to Zooz for such a product has been forwarded to the engineering team.

I honestly think battery powered remotes are going to be the way to be instead of trying to get 120v power to your coffee table. I really wish there was an easy dashboard app or something that looked nice that could control things. A lot of the ones I have seen look pretty crappy when it comes to graphics.

I think the Nexia NX1000 is the perfect battery operated 15 function controller for a tabletop application. You can even program the LCD labels with the Hubitat driver here.

1 Like

Is there a Zigbee alternative for this one? Looks really great, but everything in my home is Zigbee, so no way I'm getting a good Z-Wave mesh for a reliable operation.

That Nexia thing is pretty slick, if it could display status information that would be fun too. Like a mini dashboard. I have a goodnight program right now that will run through turning things off then check status of locks and doors/windows. If something is open/unlocked then it will turn on the overhead light in the bedroom after running to signal something is not correct. I know there are ways to do it with the phone but to have just a simple button and response screen would be nice too.

Like an alarm key panel that has the LCD screen to show the status of everything but doesn't look like it is from 1985... LOL

I suppose you can accomplish this with Rule Machine and a virtual switch, added to one of your dashboards, that when you press it, a if-then statement would compare the present condition of all your critical devices and give you a go/no-go indication on the same dashboard.

I have never seen a Zigbee controller like the NX1000.

All you need is for the NX1000 to be able to connect to your hub. It can then control all your Zigbee devices. You can pick up a couple cheap plugin Zwave devices and use them for their repeating function only.

Yeah that would perhaps work with a ton of virtual switches to show status like if any window is open then the virtual switch "window" will be on. That is a good idea! Just need to figure out a way to make a display for it...

Something like this. It doesn't show which is on, but you can work that out.

I was thinking like an LCD display that would page through the statuses of the selected virtual switches.

That should work :+1:

I would prefer battery powered as well. My life has way too many cables and cords. The enclosure is the appeal…one touch, not pickup and touch.

I was just reading that someone updated the driver for the Ring G2 keypad...

It can do things when holding buttons down. I haven't looked at this enough yet but I have a spare one keypad I was going to play with. It looks like you might be able to hold down the keys and control things? That has a lot of buttons on it so it might give a bunch of options. It also has a speaker in it and it is rechargeable via USB.

I think it can send based on codes you enter if you typed in like 123 enter then it would do something but the hold buttons down... That might help be a controller?

1 Like

A before and after with my Insteon to HE transformation. No problem mounting the Zen34 into this enclosure. Seems more suited to my room-specific needs given the single tap, double tap, and hold options with the 34. And no cords!

2 Likes