Zwave sensor to detect washer/dryer vibration

That's disappointing to hear. I was so impressed with their demo.

Well, now I'm REALLY glad I didn't waste my money on that. Was this close to buying one a while back.

That's a neat idea! Sounds a lot cheaper than HomeSeer's new "light sensor" (not a lux sensor like it might sound; literally what you are describing). I just learned the Monoprice 15270 contact sensor (they have two and I don't think the other one has this) has posts for external connections like the famous Ecolink does, and it's usually a bit cheaper, so I might have to get a couple more of these and experiment with some more projects like this (currently working on a couch occupancy sensor with a pressure mat to suplement my motion lighting, another topic).

I just know my dryer's LED blinks a lot so I'd have to observe it and see if could actually use something like this. :laughing:

2 Likes

So you've got it covered. Use IFTTT with sense for the dryer and use @Ryan780 method for the washer. I'm using Aeon gen 1 HEM clamps with a driver originally written by @mike.maxwell and modified for HE by @ogiewon. It works outstanding for the dryer, but the start stop for the washer means it's just OK, not perfect. The delays I have setup help, but it sometimes notifies me the washer is finished when it's not even running. That's why I need to supplement with a vibration sensor.

Ryan's idea to use the light is a really good one. Unfortunately for me, mine just displays 0 min remaining. No "finished" light. Hmmm, has me wondering about maybe triggering from the voltage to the run LED though. :thinking:

1 Like

That;s the one!

I couldn’t ever get the external connections to work, supposedly only works if magnet is against the sensor while in closed state. It’s disabled by default and I connected it to ST and used Rboys DH to enable it but again gave up. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

That's because the Monoprice is designed for windows that can be opened from either side. So, you would use an external reed sensor for the other side of the window. That way, if either side was open the sensor would reed open. The monoprice isn't designed to use without the magnet at all like some of the others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.