Zwave Power Strip

Hi All,
This is my first post and I'm a refugee from Wink. Happy to be here and read a lot before making the jump. Over the last few days I've switched over almost everything. I was even able to get 2 of my zwave Schlage locks to connect!!

My questions is this: I have a Aeotec DSC11 Smart power strip. It has 6 outlets, 4 of which can be controlled independently. It is about 3years old but still works. It is zwave and I was able to connect it to my hub without issue. If I'm in the device section I can turn off and on the 4 outlets, 1 at a time no problems.
But if I go to my dashboard I'm only able to control them all at once. They are either ALL on or ALL off via the dashboard. I'd be nice to connect some xmas lights to it and set up Rules for times and what not.

Any idea how I can control the outlets by themselves on Hubitat? On Wink I saw the 4 outlets and the main strip as options to turn off and on independently.

Thanks for the help.

Do you have an image of how it is handled on the device?

If it is creating the 4 controllable outlets as child devices you would have to have those on the dashboard to control then. If it is doing it by a command "Turn on outlet #..." then you would need to handle it as a custom command instead.

If there is a custom (community) driver for it you could always ask the developer for some assistance or possible changes to make it easier to control.

It might help us who don't have one to screenshot the device's settings page.

I can think of a couple ways to do this, one might be having a virtual button or switch, that when you push that virtual switch it runs a rule to turn on a particular outlet. Or maybe this has button capabilities, and button controller could handle it. Hard to say without knowing how this works.

Off is the whole strip, Off1 is outlet1, Off2 is outlet 2 and so on.

Ok. So the driver has a bunch of custom commands to handle it...

In my (limited) experience I would recommend creating a set of virtual switches to control those. You could create a Rule that reacts to those being turned on (or off) and then runs a custom action to use those commands.

OK, but how do I make the virtual switch control just the On/Off of outlet 1 vs the entire power strip?

Well, somebody probably has an easier way but how I know is (at the most basic, inefficient method):

1. Create a virtual switch (maybe labeled Power Strip 1 or something)
  2. Create a Rule that is triggered by the switch turning on
  3. Have an action in the Rule that turns runs the custom action command "On1"

Something similar to how things were being made to trigger a Broadlink to send commands in this thread.

A more complicated Rule could just look at all the various devices for changes and then call the correct command based on which one was being changed.

This custom app looks like it can handle doing some of the above for you:

But it's nothing you can't do yourself by just creating virtual devices on your own and using a rule (or any app--but it's pretty much either RM or a custom app given what's involved) to run the commands on the actual device and, if desired, manipulate the virtual device state to match. Either this or the above could do that.

What should really happen IMHO is that Hubitat should update their driver so that each outlet is exposed as a child switch device with its own "on" and "off" commands, making it usable like standard devices. The Aeon strip driver was one of the earliest drivers Hubitat wrote and pre-dates the ability to create child devices on Hubitat, so at the time, this was about the only way to do this. Newer drivers like the Zooz Power Strip do it how one might expect, but the Aeon driver hasn't been updated to match. The device itself seems to have been discontinued, which I suppose might be one reason this driver hasn't received any love lately, but with lots of people switching from other platforms, I've seen the question come up from time to time.

2 Likes

Thanks...I'll take a look and play with it. I'll most likely be back later with more questions.

and I have to make a rule for On and Off for each outlet?

You could do that or you can make one rule that handles on and off for each outlet or one rule that handles on and off for all 4. Whatever is easier for you to understand.

What is the device type for this?
Is it a built-in ("System") driver, or a custom ("User") driver?

Woohoo!! Thanks, I lurked this topic for a few days hoping for something else, but really I just needed to re-read the response from Bert. That's pretty helpful.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.