Zwave ill

Ok, yesterday all of a sudden my zwave water sensor which had had marginal zwave signal all of a sudden crashed. I replaced it with a zigbee sensor. Now all of a sudden my 2 older zwave Locks which have always worked both are working intermittently. I replaced an older zwave switch with a new enbrighten so that it would be a new repeater right next to both locks. Still only working intermittently. I have no idea what to do next

Can you post a screenshot of your z-wave details page from the hub?

3 Likes

If your switch you replaced was acting as a repeater it may take a little bit for the old route to totally clear out of the other devices.

If your hub a C7? Is your zwave firmware updated (separate process from Hub FW update)?

1 Like

It is a C-7 , Newest firmware, New zigbee stack and newest zwave firmware

Is "Shower Motion 2" a Zooz ZSE40 paired with S0 security? What Firmware does that have on it. Those can be very chatty and crush a mess depending on the firmware, settings, and placement. I assume it does not get motion that often though due to being for a shower?

you are correct, it's in the shower for motion and humidity. it is actually at the other end of the house from where my issues are.

the garage interior door lock and the garage rear door lock are the 2 that have pretty much quit working.

Location does not matter for that ZSE40, as that device will send a message every 7 seconds during active motion, with S0 enabled it is 3x the traffic compared to no security. It can crush a mesh. Since yours is probably not going off a lot, it would only cause issues if someone was in the shower and maybe for 15-30 minutes afterwards. Otherwise it should be pretty quiet.

1 Like

About how long has the hub been running when that screenshot was taken? The interior lock has 13 route changes and the signal is pretty weak. Signal is weak on the other lock as well, and response times are longer than normal. My highest response time right now is 78ms.

How long as the new switch been installed?

You could try running a repair on the new switch. I assume the locks are battery so you cannot repair those? May just have to wait a little bit for them to sort themselves out and find good routes.

1 Like

Installed new switch this morning - Garage light- about 8 hours ago. I will try repair on the Switch, see if it improves

I would give it at least 24hrs to settle down.
Also looks like your devices must be pretty spread out or your home constructions is working against zwave signals? Most devices do not have a good number of neighbors compared to your mesh size. I have about 45 devices and here are my top neighbor counts. The more neighbors the more options they have to find routes easily.

There is a switch/repeater in every room of the house

You were wise to replace your device with a Zigbee one. Make sure you always add Z-wave devices without security. Also the less hops the better for Z-wave. Try to center the hub to have as many devices directly connect with any hops. If you have issues adding devices try moving the hub close to the device and then add it. Always run the Z-wave repair with any issues or you just added/removed devices.

Repeaters can take days or weeks to pick up devices they repeat for, and locks especially need a beaming repeater (which your Z-Wave+ Enbrighten switch is) to function well.

You'll have to be patient and see if things settle well for you. You can run a repair on the locks to try to hurry them up in looking for the best path to the hub.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.