Zwave firmware update - Taking forever

I just aborted it. It was only up to 72%.

I'm not sure why it was only at 9.6k. After aborting it, I went back and looked and it was at 40k. Actually I don't think I've looked at my zwave stuff lately. Just about everything including this dimmer are talking directly to the hub.

I forget, I think aren't all zwave 500 chip switches beaming? All my zwave stuff is either 500 or 700 based.

[EDIT]
Just tried to update another one that is in the same room as the hub, and linked at 100k. It's going just as painfully slow it looks like.

Or is that just how long it takes to update firmware on a ZW device?

Do a full shutdown of the hub and pull power for 30 seconds. After booting back up let it rest for a couple of minutes then try again. Sometimes this will help with the speed. If it going at a decent pace it should only take about 15 minutes or less.

Slow downs could be caused by a lot of zwave traffic, if you have any devices that are being polled, or any sensors or metering devices that send a lot of reports.

2 Likes

Gotcha. And I'm assuming it doesn't matter if I'm using your driver, or the built in for my zooz dimmers I'm trying to update?

Driver should not matter, you could disable the device with the Red X then check mark which may possibly help. That will prevent the driver from doing anything at all while it is updating.

2 Likes

So both devices (both ZEN27 dimmers) I tried to update yesterday I ended up aborting.

Both are not responding to zwave commands now, but still work at the physical switch. I've popped the air gap and did a zwave repair but no dice. One shows peers and route info, the other shows pending with a replace button. I haven't tried excluding, reset, re-pair yet.

FWIW, May I should clarify the reason I'm trying to upgrade. I've been using your advanced driver with my other zooz switches for a long time. For some reason I wasn't with these two, so I changed them. Getting the two pending items on sync, I figured I'd try to upgrade them. :slight_smile:

You should not get the sync pending unless the firmware is below the min supported it may happen. Every version after that it should account for param changes and hide ones that are not supported for your version. However I do typically stay updated and could have missed something on one of the older versions.

Its possible that the update did complete, and I think the ZEN27 is one that factory resets itself after an update so you have to use the zwave replace, or pair it again to get it back on the hub.

1 Like

That's a good point about maybe just needing to be re-paired.

It's been years since I've re-paired /replaced a zwave device. I forget, will it pair in place like a zigbee device or am I down to fully excluding it and adding it new?

If you have a C7 you can try using zwave replace, otherwise it will create a new node/device

1 Like

That's right. Or let it add as a new device/node and do a swapp apps device on it.. It's been a minute.

[EDIT]

Got both dimmers re included with the top triple tap. You were correct, the firmware upgrade worked, it's just the device reset when it was done.

1 Like

So neither progress displayed 100%, but both actually completed the FW update?

I've never seen that myself when using the FW updater...

Yup. I aborted one at 70some percent after a few hours, and the other one at 20some percent after an hour.

I'm actually trying to update another zen27 right now and seeing how long

1 Like

Are these S2 joined? If so, remove and re-join them without S2 and try the firmware update again.

@altuser99

From the OP:

1 Like

Yeah, I totally missed that in the OP.

1 Like

Luckily I have never ever ever missed anything in a post.

Except when I have missed stuff in a post, which happens a lot. :mag: :mag: :mag:

:wink:

Lucky Jon Heder GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

3 Likes

haha We all do it. :slight_smile:

So many times I read something, and eager to help I chime in with something the OP or someone else already tried. lol

Anyway, a little update..

It seems like if you abort the file transfer once it starts, it actually keeps going until completion. You can verify that by looking at the zwave logs. You can see the blocks of firmware being transfered.

All my ZEN26 and ZEN27 devices needed to be re-included after the upgrade. All of my newer ZEN77 dimmers did not. And the firmware push to them went a lot faster. Granted the firmware is smaller.

I got all my zooz devices done.. Not sure if I will mess with my Inovelli ones or not. I mostly wanted to update the Zooz devices so I could get full functionality with the Advanced drivers for them

2 Likes

Yeap, I knew the abort process was shaky thats why I suggested they actually did update. The only way to really abort is to reboot the hub and/or device.

2 Likes

Glad you mentioned it though! I'm much more confident to update devices now, now that I know what to expect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.