Zwave Details

Would it be possible to get a notification feature that monitors the z-wave details page for device status "NO_RESPONSE"? Maybe a way to exclude specific devices by name. I recognize some devices drop off occasionally but devices shouldn't be in that state for more than 15min or so, would be nice to have a built in notification.

i get no response or failed all the time for zleepy devices such as door contact sensors or water leak sensors that only wake up rarely .. when i do us ethem they work fine.

This looks similar to your other post, though I know that wasn't phrased specifically as a feature request: Zwave Details

My advice would be to ignore the "Z-Wave Details" page unless you are having problems [EDIT: fixed typo]. As mentioned above (and in the other thread), it is common for devices to show a state here that looks bad but might actually be normal for that device. This information comes from the Z-Wave SDK Hubitat is using, not something Hubitat is calculating on its own (my guess is that this was a requirement for their recent Z-Wave certification, perhaps relucantly added as a "feature" on the hub side for that reason, but I don't know all of what 700-series Z-Wave certification requires).

The real question is whether the device actually works. I see you were using Device Monitor, which should work for that (as long as you have a good idea of how often your devices normally generate activity), especially if these are mains-powered devices and they respond to a "Refresh" command that should generate activity before the check (something I believe that app, unlike similar ones, can be configured to do). If your devices frequently have problems, it sounds like there is another issue that should be addressed, like a misbehaving device or mesh strength issue. Have you tried exploring those options if that is the reason you are curious about these states?

Back to your actual request, this seems like something they are unlikely to add, but I'm sure they'll read and respond in time. A community app could probably be written/modified to do this unofficially, however...

1 Like

I'm not actually having any issues currently but have in the past. Not with mesh instability but with devices themselves. It's annoying to find out a device is bad when I go to use it. Over the last year I have had 3 GE z-wave light switches just die, one of them was on a schedule to provide out door lighting, so I never actually touched it. I didn't find out it was bad until I was out one night and my front door wasn't lit up, after digging through logs it appears it had been dead for weeks. I have since replaced all of those with Zooz switches. I also have a MIMO relay controlling my fireplace that has become unresponsive in the past and I don't find out until I go to use the fireplace.
My background is in Datacenter infrastructure resiliency, disaster recovery and business continuity, so I might just be over thinking my home automation setup. But I used some scripting on my phone to monitor the Z-wave Details page and it seemed pretty accurate. If I poll every minute, I have a few devices that come back with around 15 NO_RESPONSE messages before they flip to OK, mostly battery powered devices, so as expected. I have 3 outlets that come back with a constant NO_RESPONSE, since they aren't plugged in again as expected. So it just seemed like a more efficient way of monitoring versus polling or sending out refresh command. I could probable set up something on my Synology NAS but I though it might be useful to have something built in.