Zwave communication issues

YES YES YES YES YES YES

1 Like

Alright, problems are back.

zwave details

From tony's zwave mesh details app

Looks like 1B is your problem child.
You could try pairing it without security, might help, might not.
It only has 3 neighbors, not great, but should be able to function.

Adding a strong repeater might help. Not sure if you have any plugs you could move over there for now to test?

Thanks- the 1b device is the furthest device, though it is closest to 28. What I would expect a route based on physical proximity is 1b - 28 - 27 - (13, 26, couple others) - hub. For a solid repeater, any recommendations? I’ve considered putting in a smart switch for my attic fan, but I’m unsure of the wiring and amperage. Would it be useful to label on a diagram where these guys are?

How far away is it? Should only need 1-2 hops normally. I have a ZEN16 40-50ft away in my garage and with the C7 it would either get direct or 1 hop.

For repeaters, I just have every single light switch in the house replaced with Zwave switches. Other people sometimes add Aeotech or Ring repeaters.

From hub to device 27 (what I think should be the primary relay to communicate with 28 and 1B) - is about 35 feet. I've attached a section of the drawing of my home with where the various devices are. Suggestions welcome..

I would try sticking a repeater in the laundry room, not sure if there are any outlets on that west wall (assuming up is north)?

Also if you have an open basement, possibly sticking something in the ceiling below the dining room might help as well.

Overall the devices are not very dense over in that part of the house. If you have any inconspicuous outlets over there I would just stick a couple of repeaters in anywhere you can fit them. Even if you get something over by that beverage fridge.

1 Like

Unfortunately, no basement. I can try and add some extra plug in outlets by minoston, dunno how well they act as repeaters though. My biggest confusion is that there are plenty of neighbors for 27, but 27 is not relaying anything for 28 which is basically just on the other side of the opposite wall. Is the enbrighten 46201 switch just not that good of a switch?

Is it in a metal wall box by any chance?

The Ring range extenders work pretty well for me and they have the added advantage of a built-in battery backup.

Do not try to understand the mysteries of zwave.
You can try to persuade it, but you ultimately have no control over it.

1 Like

Much like my wife :rofl:

Following... have some issues of my own I'd like to sort out.

I have a number of Enbrighten/Ultrapro, etc., switches and they repeat for me in my home - five of them are currently repeating for other devices. Not sure exactly what switch that is that you have (Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus)...mine are (mostly) newer Z-Wave Plus.

It says that the enbrighten switch is zwave plus - though not sure if that's desirable here or not. It is in a box in that wall. I'm going to stick in a couple more zwave dimmable switches to replace dumb switches for my under cabinet lighting just to get some additional zwave coverage. Any specific make/models people would recommend that seem to contribute to being neighbors fairly consistently? (to rlithgow1's point - no guarantee though.)

Specific to your question: Both the switch in the garage that seems to be sporadically work, as well as the switch in the wall in the mud room that should be relaying. The mud room switch (27) faces the wall in which the hot water circulator (28) is - but it is facing the back side (metal) of that box. Could that be why?

Update- I ended up getting a ring repeater and placed it in the garage facing perpendicular to the problematic switch - and since then things have been far more reliable.

1 Like

Glad it's working better for you. :slight_smile: