Zooz ZSE29 "Outdoor" Motion sensor Mini Review - OUTDATED -

Since this model is not listed in the device type list what did you choose as you configured it?
I have it set as a ZSE18 and it appears to work okay.

According to the official device compatibility list, Generic Z-Wave Motion Sensor is the correct driver to use.

As I can tell from the current ZSE29 manual, it doesn't support customization via anything besides knobs on the device itself, i.e., no changing of settings via Z-Wave parameters. Therefore, unless there are some that aren't documented but behave differently, the ZSE18 driver is unlikely to hurt anything, especially if you don't actually try to change anything with it, but you don't gain anything from it, either.

Read the note from agnes 2 notes prior to yours.

There is new firmware that opens up the 2 parameters to be controlled via Z-Wave configuration...

She also informed us of the updated code here: New ZSE29 Zooz Outdoor Motion Sensor Readings

1 Like

I don't recall exactly what I used but there is a ZSE18 driver in Hubitat. I probably used that.

I just bought a ZSE29 from the above link but it seems I cannot access any advanced parameters afterall.
Does this mean I got the "old" version instead?

It's possible that Hubitat doesn't display the advanced settings for the sensor but you can change them using the basic Z-Wave Parameter Tool by manually adjusting parameters.

1 Like

OK, thanks.
I am new to Hubitat and never tried that one before but will give it a go.

1 Like

Hi Agnes,

I have a newer unit and notice it's not until I'm about 12 feet from the unit took it senses. Is the October release with the sensitivity setting going to allow for further range?

The sensor is already set to the highest sensitivity but depending on how the sensor is mounted or the outside temperature, detection range may be affected. Most Z-Wave and security sensors use partial infrared technology which relies on the difference between ambient and body temperature to detect activity. If it's hot enough for these two to be close, then detection range may be impacted.

We recommend getting in touch with our support team to troubleshoot the issue based on additional details you can provide us with.

Curious about your experience with being within 12' to sense your presence.

Question: Were you outside? What time of day and what was the temperature?

I ask because all PIR sensors will become less sensitive when the outside temperature is in the mid 90's. In theory if the ambient was exactly the same temperature as your body, the PIR would have no change to sense.

Not sure it helps.

1 Like

I am in a "hot" locale so that is probably part of it. However, anecdotally I can say that compared to an ecolink "indoor" motion i have outdoors the Zooz does not detect motion as far.

While replacing batteries today. I noticed significant corrosion on the provided screws that hold the sensor to the back plate. Apparently they aren't stainless steel? Given they are outdoor units, shouldn't they have stainless screws? At least for the screws outside of the gasket sealed bodies?

I have several more that were set to be installed outside, but this gives me pause because given a couple more months I doubt I could have backed these screws out.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of times the mfg relies on the plating keeping the parts from rusting. Unfortunately once you use a screwdriver on the the plating is compromised. My local Ace hardware store has a great assortment of SS hardware. Anything I put outside is SS. The cost of the screws is far less that the effort to remove a rusted screw.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out. We haven't seen that before but we'll look into it asap. I'll check with our development team to see if we can change the type of screws that come with the sensor.

2 Likes

The cost difference between the two screws is pennies but running with customer feedback to make your products better is priceless.

6 Likes

Exactly right, I'm assuming a zinc plating or something along those lines. Odd in my opinion for something that's supposed to be outside.

Any chance you know the threading and screw size? Thanks in advance!

It should be a standard phillips 5.5 head screw but the best way to match a new one to it is just to take one with you to your local hardware store and ask them for the same size. I'll keep you posted on what I hear from the development team!

It is an M4 x 8 for those who are looking to replace it.

1 Like

I got some at the hardware store. Interesting, they weren't magnetic. They didn't have Phillips though. Hex I think.

I just installed one by my rear breezeway door after messing around with it, and learning, for a week.

I managed to get the short USB lead into the building wall and siliconed the hole in the wall. I think it's better than having the connection exposed.

Those stainless cap screws from Ace Hardware take a 2mm hex.

I turned off the lux switch and set clear time to 5 seconds. I'm going to use the system sunset to sunrise as well as the simple automation clear time. I left sensitivity to highest, (default), for now.

Even though it doesn't use lux, it still reports lux values every 30 minutes, as I've seen in the log. The frequency of reporting is variable. It varied considerably in my observation, depending on brightness; I think it has potential for input for other stuff.

Changing parameters can be a hassle. To conserve battery, it only wake up every 4 hours. when it passes along the new values. This can be forced by pressing the tamper button three times, (when the unit is dis-mounted), or by disconnecting/reconnecting the power-easy if there's a usb connection inside the house, a hassle to have to dismount to get to the batteries. Sometimes the parameters don't "take" the first time, although that could be me somehow.

I live in a cool climate, so I figured USB power was worth the hassle. Zooz has a 10' cable.

3 Likes