Zooz ZSE18 appears failed?

I have a ZSE18 that isn't talking to the hub anymore and showed as failed. I replaced the battery and still no joy. If I reset it how does one go about pairing it back and then doing the option to REPLACE?

AFAIK, the hub doesn’t have a z-wave replace feature.

But I think you could do something like this?

The C-7 has a "Replace" feature (the C-5 and earlier do not), but it won't appear if it still thinks the node is online. A "Refresh" (and waiting a few seconds) may get it to be marked as failed, which I think is the criterion for when "Replace" appears. That being said, I've had pretty bad luck getting this to work the way it's supposed to. It seems a bit easier with a secondary controller (e.g., a Z-Wave stick plus Z-Wave PC Controller, a popular method for paring S0 devices without security or for removing ghost nodes if it doesn't work from Hubitat). In either case, the device does truly have to not respond to pings. Removing the battery or resetting the device usually works to ensure that much.

Rather than replace (and something that will work no matter what your hub model), I often find it easier to just join as a new device, then swap the new device out for the old one in all apps/automations. Nothing special there (just make sure the device is reset and ready to re-pair; I would not run an exclusion from the same hub it's currently joined to in case it recognizes the device and removes it for you, but another hub or controller would work). A bit more work, but more reliable, in my experience.

And, of course, it's weird that it "fell off" the network in the first place. I'm assuming there couldn't be something else going on, like it's on the fringe of your network and needs to be in better range of the hub or repeaters? Possibly a different story...

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve recently started using a C7 but have very few z-wave devices :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I ended up factory resetting the ZSE18 and pairing it as new and then just reassigning the various rules to it. Not sure how it got messed up to begin with but will see if it does so again it would not respond at all until I reset it.