Zooz Zen34 Keeps Reporting Battery Level

Thanks for the info about 1.4! Requested and received the link to the new firmware from Zooz.

1 Like

Mine just started this after being fine for over a month. I requested the 1.4 firmware.

How do I do the update once I get the firmware?

• Install the "Device Firmware Updater" app.
  • Save the firmware file to the File Manager.
  • Put the Zen34 into wake-up mode (Tap upper paddle 7x, blue LED solid on).
  • Run the firmware updater app, specifying the file in File Manager.

Only problem I had is ZEN34 goes to sleep fairly quickly (LED goes out). Try again.

FWIW I couldn't get the device firmware updater to work for me - or I wasn't patient enough or close enough ... either way I got a zwave usb stick and used PC controller to update the firmware on the Zen34s. You do have to exclude and re-include if you use this method

You shouldn't need to. Add the USB stick+ PC Controller as a secondary hub/controller/coordinator to HE. Then update the device using PC Controller. I update most of my devices firmware this way on both HE and ST and it works great.

3 Likes

ah i didnt think to do that - I'll know for the future. I did read on joining the stick to HE to find ghosts

Got the firmware file. Got the Device Firmware Updater app installed. Ran app, it gives me the option to upload a file. Did that. But that's all the app seems to do. When I run it it just takes me to the point to upload a file which is already there. The only thing in the app appears to be file manager button.

What am I missing?

What Hub model do you have? It only works on the C7

Mines a C5.

You will need to use the driver then, the one on the post will work for otz files but not the newer GBL files. He has another version on his github for the binary GBL files.

Catch is you have to have the file online, but possibly Zooz emailed you a link without a zip file you can use for the driver. Otherwise there is a trick I found to put it on Dropbox and then you share it, but you have to edit part of the url for it to give a link direct to the file without the site in the way.

Can't get it to work. It says it downloads file, parses, then hangs. First time I tried it said loading hex. After about an hour I aborted. Found something that said a different version of the updater driver was needed for gbl files. Got that driver. Starts the same way and then says getting current firmware version. And hangs there. Again after about an hour I aborted.

I found that when it's doing the battery reporting every few seconds pushing the up button a few times it stops.

That is the symptom. Pressing any button stops the chatter immediately. If the device is connected Direct (without hops), it never happens. In my experience, 2 hops on the mesh and away it goes.

Also I thought .GBL files only work on the C7 model. You said you have a C5, so I don't know if this is part of the issue.

You are on the right track using the binary updater driver for the GBL file. Because this is a sleepy battery powered device you have to wake it up and time it correctly. I think that device you tap up 7 times to wake up? So you do that then about 3 seconds later hit the update button on the driver. If all goes well it will talk to the device during its wake up and kick off the update. Also having the device near the hub helps.

I think if you watch the logs you will also be able to somewhat see what’s going on.

1 Like

Did the wake-up several times. Never helped. Had the unit about 5 ft from hub.

I have had an issue when trying to get updates to work sometimes its like the hub gets balled up internally. I will do a cold boot (power down unplug and power up). Also reboot the device as well (battery pull in this case). Make sure the device is talking to the hub, but hitting on/off a couple times.

You could also test a wake up, and if set to the firmware update driver you should see in the logs a wakeup event either a debug or trace log entry. I usually try to time it so just after that event shows in the log is when you want to start the update so the device is awake and listening.

You are not alone, battery devices are very frustrating to update. I have done it a lot and they still cause me problems.

1 Like

Trying one more time. Here is the logs:

2022-06-29 02:38:34.499 pm infobyte buffer size: 0
dev:27522022-06-29 02:38:34.495 pm debug
<!DOCTY
dev:27522022-06-29 02:38:32.616 pm infoVersionReport- applicationVersion:1.30
dev:27522022-06-29 02:38:32.614 pm infoVersionReport- zWaveProtocolVersion:7.13
dev:27522022-06-29 02:38:32.219 pm infoFirmwareUpdateMd version:5

Here is the events:

Here is the device screen where it is hung. I notice the url disappears when it starts:

I forgot that driver has a debug logging option, I would always turn that on when you see it if troubleshooting something. So need that on. Also, can you PM me the link you are using? It seems like it is getting stuck at the downloading part which should go quick. It does look like it is able to talk to the device so thats a good sign.

Also if you post any more logs just do screenshots, its easier to read.

Here is the link I used to the file:

With debug on, here is the logs:

Still hangs on downloading firmware.

I appreciate all the help.

That is something like what I was expecting, that link goes to the github web page, you need to use the raw file / download link from that page or it wont know what to do.

Correct Link:
https://github.com/jwwhite001/Hubitat/raw/main/ZEN34_V01R40P02.gbl

Ok, it now seems to be working. Light on button is flashing. Uploading going on, etc. Looks like it might take awhile tho. Percentage going up pretty slow...:slight_smile:

Thanks for the help. There was a time in my life when I understood this stuff, but my old brain don't work quite as well anymore.

1 Like