Zooz Zen30 wiring - line connected to neutral?

But the grey thing is labeled power source and both a white from the neutral bundle, and the Line, go to it. Very strange.

It seems like this highlighted wire shouldn't go to what's labeled Power Source. Just a bad diagram I guess. But I understand now. Thanks!

That diagram shows a "Romex" cable (labeled "POWER SOURCE"), which has both neutral and line (ground not shown) coming in.

Hire a professional before you hurt yourself or someone else. Seriously.

6 Likes

Oh stop it. Nobody is getting hurt. Not my first rodeo. Thanks for the help interpreting the diagram, that's all I needed to make sure.

Diagram is perfectly correct and not at all confusing IMO.
Line and Relay 2 are connected to the black hot wire.
Neutral is connected to the neutral of the switch and fan as shown.
Relay 1 goes to the fan hot, Dimmer load goes to the light hot.

Do you have a neutral feed in your box? Maybe thats the cause for confusion?

3 Likes

The cause for confusion was the diagram looking like a line and neutral were being connected - and of course I knew that isn't right. Just needed another set of eyes to realize what the diagram is showing, and mikes got me sorted out there.

The trick was realizing that whoever did the electric (new build) put the line in the box you'd logically consider is the secondary switch in the 3way.

So now all the wires are properly tagged, the double switch is working and included and out of the 3way, and the on/off switch is working and included (no load, I'll do rules for a virtual 3way). Just have to hook up the scene controller in my now empty slot.

And nobody got hurt.

I dont think there is any rhyme or reason to what box gets the feed, whatever is easier. My house is full of 3-ways with 2-3 gang boxes. Seems like they run the feed to largest box for that room then send the 3-ways out from there. Ended up working out well for the placement of the smart switches vs the dumb switches I put on the other end.

1 Like

It gave me a hot for the button mode switch, but then no neutral, so I co-opted a traveler and converted it to a neutral. Yes I marked it :blush:

Nope - it is an accurate diagram.

4 Likes

Accurate yes. Easy to misinterpret, though. I've never seen a switch diagram that has the line and neutral shown that way, and I've done switches and outlets many, many times - including smarting my whole condo - and never saw a diagram show them that way.

Only if the reader has a minimal understanding of how alternating current works.

I've never seen a diagram for an AC circuit that isn't very similar to this one.

4 Likes

Looks pretty clear to me too.

3 Likes

Why is everyone here so pompous?

It’s probably because in a related topic several months ago you kept insisting you were correct about something that you were very much incorrect about and seemed unwilling to acknowledge that, no matter how many people tried to (helpfully) point it out.

That can get frustrating.

2 Likes

OK it's great to know none of you have ever been wrong.

That seems to be self-descriptive. Even after I pointed out that neutral and line were not connected together in that diagram, you continued to insist that they were, at that "grey thing", despite the same type of "grey thing" being shown going to the fan and a power source needing both line and neutral. Then you insisted you were doing it safely when it was apparent that you were just blindly following diagrams without really understanding electrical wiring.

3 Likes

I’m often wrong and when that occurs, I acknowledge it rather than insist others are, or that a diagram is the problem.

3 Likes

You want to know why everyone here is "so pompous"?

Read the thread linked to below. Someone in there:

1. Confused AC and DC circuits
  2. Refused to acknowledge that neutrals are necessary to complete all circuits
  3. Insisted their grossly incorrect statements about wiring were correct
  4. Insulted everyone who corrected the above

That same person indicated in this thread that line and neutral were connected in a circuit diagram from Zooz, and when corrected, implied the diagram was at fault or "misleading". There's your textbook definition of pompous.

4 Likes

I think it is coming across that way because people are concerned for the safety of others. It is very difficult/dangerous to provide electrical wiring instructions via a forum if the people receiving the instructions may not have a very good understanding of what they are doing. I say "may not" because there is no good way to tell on here what someone's proficiency is. We don't want anyone to get hurt!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.