Zooz zen30 relay shows as light in Google Home, how to make it a switch?

Just got two of the Zen30 double switches and installed two new ceiling fans with dimmable lights and the fan motor set up for the relay button. Everything works(*) except that Google Home sees the relay as a "light" and no option to change the device type. So this means that if I put the fan light dimmer (named "Fan Light" in GHome) and the relay switch (named "Fan Switch" in GHome) in the same room, the Kitchen, and I tell Google to turn on the Kitchen light, it turns on the fan too, because it thinks its a light as reported to it by Hubitat. The option to change device type for the relay is greyed out in Hubitat, the type is fixed as "Generic component central scene switch".

edit: on C7 with firmware update today to 2.2.4.158

(*) everything works basically, but the dimming is very odd. This is my first dimmer switch, I've only had dimming zigbee bulbs from Sengled until now. In these new ceiling fans, they came with dimmable led bulbs but they only seem to come on at all when setting the level to 20% in Google Home, then they go to full brightness at like 30%, but then sometimes it seems to be inconsistent and sometimes it goes to full bright at 25% setting, so I don't get it. The physical dimmer switch works okay, I think, although it ramps very fast, but I am still testing the ramping settings in Hubitat to see if I can make that smoother.

I'll say that I've found a workaround. I used Groups and Scenes and put the fan switches in a scene (actually tried a group first, but it still reported to Google Home as a light, so I had to put them in a scene instead). Now, as a scene, they report to Google as switches, and when I set the name in Google Home to "Fan" or set device type as fan, it even shows a little fan icon, and it works fine for voice and Google Home app control.

However, I would still say that it is incorrect for Hubitat to report the relay of the Zooz Zen30 as a light to Google, it should report it as a switch, then if it is actually a light then a user could manually change the device type in Google Home (presumably, it seems to allow any switch type device to be changed to a light, at least for me so far with some zigbee wall plugs, but if Hubitat reports something as a light, Google wont allow a device type change)

1 Like

I agree, I am working on a custom driver for the ZEN30 and I just tried this out and also found it is showing up as a Light and not letting me change it in Alexa or Google. This is for both the main device and the relay child device which uses the built in driver. This is strange because I specifically removed the "Light" capability and am using "Switch" in hopes to fix this with all my drivers. For some reason ONLY the dimmers which also have "SwitchLevel" show up as switches, and the regular switches show up as lights only. If we can get some clarification as to what triggers it to be reported as a Switch vs a Light I can use a custom child device driver and fix it along with my other drivers. I will keep you posted if I figure anything out.

So I had an idea. I renamed my device for the dimmer to be "Bath Switch" so it did not have the word light in the name. Removed and re-added to Alexa and Google. Now Alexa lets me pick switch or light, Google still though insists it is a light. In fact looks like google insists all my switches must be lights and does not let me pick. Tried the same with the relay but that one stays a light on both systems. I can only assume they have the Light capability enabled in the stock driver, no idea why since the driver is named "Generic Component Central Scene Switch". If someone from Hubitat can confirm what makes the Echo and Google home apps report as a switch vs a light I might do a custom child driver for the relay to fix it on my driver.

Try this integration. You can expose devices to google as any type of device that google supports...

Thank you for that link! That is pretty interesting and I'm certainly looking at it, but it seems a bit overkill for my situation just now. That's not to say I won't do it, but I don't think I have the time just now, too many other projects going, but I'll keep it in mind later, thanks.

Thank you for posting your workaround! Cool that GH lets you reclassify switches. This helped solve my inverse problem: switches (type: Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch) that actually control lights.

P.S. Now my only (minor) problem is that Hubitat Scenes don't map to GH Scenes:

Yeah I even tried doing this manually through the community google integration. Which by the way lets you specify the exact device type for every device instead of letting the built in hubitat app decide for itself. Anyway... even though I am sending the scene as scenes specifically through the community integration I still don't see where they show up in the Google Home app (anywhere). Maybe I am missing something and I done have any google speaker devices to use (I use Alexa) I just mess with the app to see how things work with Google.