Zooz Zen26 can no longer be included with Security=None

Ok so @bcopeland has not contributed from my ping three days ago.

How about @mike.maxwell - I know you usually stick to the zigbee side but can you comment on this?

Can we somehow still for a zwave pairing with NO security?

1 Like

Yeah don’t know what to tell you, it’s gotta be something unique to these zooz devices. I haven’t joined a S2 device in a bit, but clearly it’s not a universal problem for all S2 devices as demonstrated by the below quote. Why it’s not working for these Zooz devices I couldn’t tell you.

Perhaps @bcopeland has some sort of insight on why skip isn’t working as intended.

I have exchanged a few messages with Hubitat support. Here is their response:

our engineers are aware that some devices cannot be included without S2 and are exploring ways to bypass this problem from our end

No ETA for a fix, but it looks like they are working on the problem, which is a promising sign.

In terms of weather the problem is caused by Hubitat or Zooz -- there is no way to know until the root-cause is identified.

Marc

1 Like

I haven't noticed anyone mention it but when the device did include S2 Unauthenticated, are you having the lockup issues you had previously? I had that issue previously so all off mine are paired with No Security but I have one that I want to re-install.

Nice. Just knowing they are aware and are looking into it is good.

@stephen_nutt good question. I just tested my single switch paired with S2 unauthenticated and no issues yet. But I plan to exclude it later today and attempt to use pc controller to get it joined w/o security

This is known and a solution is being investigated.

6 Likes

Well I have re-read my question a couple times now and it boggles my mind that I thought it was grammatically correct at the time. I’m glad you were able to understand it.

And thank you for the confirmation.

A quick update that my ZEN26 has been stable with security=S2-unauthenticated for about 2-weeks now. No resets required.

I still looking forward to being able to include it with security=none, as I am quite certain that if it does destabilize, it will happen when I am not around to reset it and my family will be very annoyed with me :grinning:.

Question for others that own ZEN26s that have had to include them with security=unauthenticated since the Hubitat update: What has your experience been over the past few weeks?

Thanks!

Marc

Seems it might not just be the Zooz switch, I tried to add a Minoston MP21Z and can't get it to include without security either. I have others of these included with a previous version of Hubitat that included fine without security.

I have 23 Zooz devices with the majority paired with S2 Unauth by choice, and have been for a while. I used to get more frequent lock ups of devices but within the last few months it has been a lot better. I think in the last 30 days it has only happened to maybe 1-2 of them.

I am not being mean but that is still unacceptable.

I don’t want to start a debate about encryption or no encryption but all mine (accept one which I just haven’t got to move it manually) are paired with no security and I haven’t had a switch lock up since moving to the C7 (well accept for the exhaust fan that I didn’t think I needed the snubber anymore and was wrong).

I agree, originally I thought it was possibly something with the Zooz firmware but now I am reading of people having it happen with other brands as well so I am leaning towards something on the C7 ZWave causing the issue.

I only have a few Wifi devices and two hue bulbs, to compare to the C7 ZWave, but so far it has been very sub-par. The Wifi and Hue devices just plain work, never really had any issues. There are constant issue with the ZWave stuff, if its not locking up, devices randomly don't turn on or off when they should, etc... Need to order the stick to use with a ZSniffer so I can see what is going on at a deep level.

I chose ZWave for my main protocol due to the standardization. I have seen quite a few threads with issues of various Zigbee devices using non-standard protocol causing issues so still sticking by my choice but I really wish it was reliable.

Yup from all I have read it seems that the 700 chips implementation of S2 does not play nice with the 500 version of S2.

Do you have any of the zen7x series? I only have one included right now and again it has no encryption so I have nothing to compare with.

Also I did have issues with zen26/27 devices until I started installing every switch with a load resistor across the load. I do consider this a Zooz design flaw but that’s just me. And it’s an easy fix that I am willing to live with given the end result.

I have a small house - 1650 sq ft and I have done the same. Everything that is wired in the walls is zwave except for one Hampton bay fan controller.

Side note re wifi. I had 16 Teckin SP10s running tasmota. And they have been rock solid for two years until last month my 2.4 network went belly up - nest camera, three protects, and a thermostat all offline. 5g was fine. Ended up one sp10 had a unrecoverable fault and must have got locked in TX mode. I think it took me three days to figure that one out.

Yeah I have one 76 and one 77 and a ZEN32, so far have been pretty good I think. Just got two 700 series sensors as well but have not connected them yet.

There is not really a good reason TO pair these all with the S2, but there also IMO should not be a reason NOT to. If the device comes with enhanced security I might as well use it. I don't leave all my exterior doors unlocked either but I know some people who do.

I have about 2600 sqft between two levels so if yours is a ranch, close to the same footprint. The 23 devices I have so far covers the entire main floor and the one public space switch in the upper hall. All I have left to do is bedrooms and bathrooms.

1 Like

I admit before I had a zwave lock I was sometimes in this category.

Just wanted to thank you again for the step by step.

Finally got back to this today. I’ve been busy moving RM4 rules to RM5 to take advantage of the optimized hub variables and nothing goes as smoothly as it should. Hub mesh was giving me a hard time updating the shares.

Anyway I got two Zooz devices added with no security - a zen26 and a zen16. Not sure if I had to do this process for the zen16 or not, but it worked all the same.

Rebooted the C7 and they were both on the zwave details page and discover pulled them right in.

Life is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

@steve.maddigan I didn't notice any step-by-step instructions on the thread for successfully adding a ZEN26 with no security ("Security=none"). Would appreciate it if you re-posted them here so I can give it a try, thanks!

Marc

@marcaronson408 the procedure does require a zwave USB stick.

Hi @steve.maddigan, thank you for the info!

I don't have a z-wave stick -- I'll wait until Hubitat provides an update.

Marc

2 Likes

I reinstalled my ZEN26 today without security.

2 Likes