Zooz Zen26 can no longer be included with Security=None

My 2 cents, might be worth purchasing/using a UZB stick for inclusion without security!

3 Likes

Interesting. How do I use a USB z-wave stick with the Hubitat C7 hub? Also, can I remove the USB stick once the device is included into the network?

Marc

There are several great threads on this forum on selecting and using a Z-Wave (UZB) stick to act as a secondary Z-Wave controller which allows one to join devices without unnecessary security. Just search for these threads using UZB or 'Z-Wave stick'.

After joining Z-Wave devices using the paired UZB, one can then exclude the UZB if they desire and the HE Hub has them defined for use without security.

2 Likes

I have not hit this issue yet - besides fighting with my lock I haven’t included anything new since 2.2.8 came out.

But soon I am going to be replacing two zen26s with zen76s and moving the 26s to other spots. And I have three more zen26s on the shelf to be deployed. So I will be up against this issue soon.

Besides my lock and my ring S2 extenders, everything on my mesh is joined w/o security.

I am surprised HE has not yet commented here.

@bcopeland I know previously the unofficial response has been if you don’t need S2, then don’t use security. I also believe that you are probably the biggest staffer using S2.

Are their plans to give us older gen the option again in the next release?

1 Like

If that is true then Hubitat made a big mistake. Give us the ability to choose!

YES PLEASE

2 Likes

Well I think they did, the use of the skip button is supposed to include without security. Or at least that’s my understanding of what skip means in this context.

The mystery is why that doesn’t work on this specific device. I suspect if skip wasn’t working at all we would be seeing a lot more complaints.

1 Like

Definitely works for GE/Jasco Enbrighten switches. I paired 4 the other day and skip set security to none.

I do have a few Zen26s paired with no security to my C7 hub that I paired many months ago. Maybe the latest firmware broke this, not sure.

I just re-included a Zen22 last night that I pulled out of another location months ago.

I hit “skip” at the security screen and I definitely got security.

I am not impressed.

Can anyone point me to the post that explains how to in include a device with no security using PC controller?

I have searched but can’t find it.

You first pair the uzb secondary controller device with HE - I use "Classic Learn Mode" - On the HE the device should show up as a "Device" this is fine... as an aside I hit "skip" during the pairing process and it paired with no security.

From there you simply do a Network Wide Inclusion (NWI) and put your device into pairing mode. A popup box with security options should appear. If you have any difficulty I believe you can click on the shield icon on the upper right of the window and uncheck the security options you don't want.. and try again. You can also do a Network Wide Exclusion (NWE) and exclude the device.

On the HE side, you can reboot and/or go into z-wave details and hit discover or go into z-wave inclusion mode and it should appear. One or a combo of these - sometimes the device will just appear...

Note: you cannot include devices WITH S2 security and the secondary controller - something about the credentials not getting transferred..

1 Like

Yes I do remember reading this previous.

Thank you for the step-by-step.

1 Like

One would think that, but its not what happens with the Zooz Zen30 that I tried. 'Skip' got me S2 Unauthenticated, but that's not the same as 'no security'

Yep, that's the same thing I saw.

Ok so @bcopeland has not contributed from my ping three days ago.

How about @mike.maxwell - I know you usually stick to the zigbee side but can you comment on this?

Can we somehow still for a zwave pairing with NO security?

1 Like

Yeah don’t know what to tell you, it’s gotta be something unique to these zooz devices. I haven’t joined a S2 device in a bit, but clearly it’s not a universal problem for all S2 devices as demonstrated by the below quote. Why it’s not working for these Zooz devices I couldn’t tell you.

Perhaps @bcopeland has some sort of insight on why skip isn’t working as intended.

I have exchanged a few messages with Hubitat support. Here is their response:

our engineers are aware that some devices cannot be included without S2 and are exploring ways to bypass this problem from our end

No ETA for a fix, but it looks like they are working on the problem, which is a promising sign.

In terms of weather the problem is caused by Hubitat or Zooz -- there is no way to know until the root-cause is identified.

Marc

1 Like

I haven't noticed anyone mention it but when the device did include S2 Unauthenticated, are you having the lockup issues you had previously? I had that issue previously so all off mine are paired with No Security but I have one that I want to re-install.

Nice. Just knowing they are aware and are looking into it is good.

@stephen_nutt good question. I just tested my single switch paired with S2 unauthenticated and no issues yet. But I plan to exclude it later today and attempt to use pc controller to get it joined w/o security

This is known and a solution is being investigated.

6 Likes

Well I have re-read my question a couple times now and it boggles my mind that I thought it was grammatically correct at the time. I’m glad you were able to understand it.

And thank you for the confirmation.

A quick update that my ZEN26 has been stable with security=S2-unauthenticated for about 2-weeks now. No resets required.

I still looking forward to being able to include it with security=none, as I am quite certain that if it does destabilize, it will happen when I am not around to reset it and my family will be very annoyed with me :grinning:.

Question for others that own ZEN26s that have had to include them with security=unauthenticated since the Hubitat update: What has your experience been over the past few weeks?

Thanks!

Marc