zooZ Zen25 reports power more often than I have it configured for

This was literally the very first zwave device I bought. Since then, I've read in places that the zooZ energy monitoring plugs can be very chatty. I was using it to turn 2 lamps in our bedroom on and off and was not interested in the power monitoring at all. You can't disable it (there is an option to disable the power reporting threshold, but that actually makes it go crazy reporting every 0.1W change), so I just changed the values to the highest I could. I set the power reporting threshold to 1000W, and changed the power, energy, voltage, and current reporting frequency to once every 24 hours. However, I still get readings in the log for energy usage.

I turned one of the lights on a little over an hour ago, and the plug has sent several power readings to the hub.

The reason I started looking at this, is I was thinking of getting a zooZ Zen15 specifically to monitor energy usage of the washer and an Aeotec heavy duty switch for monitoring energy usage of the dryer. Mostly for notifications.

Is there something wrong with my Zen25? Do I just have it configured wrong? Are zooZ devices to chatty when it comes to power reporting?

1 Like

The above is just the child device for the lamp. Here is the parent device for the plug for the same time period.

a) I believe you can disable voltage and current reporting via settings.
b) power is reported on-%-change and on-value-change; both parameters can be adjusted in settings.

However, your load consumption jumps around and delivered power levels change by 40-50%. That's probably the reason for frequent reporting.

Which firmware are you on? There were apparently firmware changes to tame or turn off the power reporting.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/304-zen25 s2-double-plug-change-log/

The other thing you might try is to manually set the parameters using Hubitat Zwave tool. It appears you want parameter 2 through 6. (see manual)

You install this, change the driver to this tool, and you can set any or all available parameters. Then you just change back to the regular driver.

I'm on firmware 2.0 and the built in Hubitat driver lets me change those parameters.

Those are in seconds. 86400 seconds is 24 hours, which is what I have selected in the driver.

But... based on parameter 2 it shouldn't have reported anything at all.

Parameter 2: Choose how you want your Double Plug to report power
consumption to your hub. The number entered as value corresponds to
the number of Watts the appliance needs to go over for the change to be
reported. So if 5 Watts are entered by default, the Double Plug will report
any change in power usage over 5 Watts for each outlet (whether it’s at
least 5 Watts more or 5 Watts less compared to previous report).

So unless the device connected to it exceeds 1000W it shouldn't have reported anything. This plug is under a king size bed, so it's really hard to get to. Otherwise I'd try plugging in some other loads to it and see how it behaves.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.