Zooz Zen16 Multirelay to New Garage Opener

Yep, I'm a big fan of the Wago-pigtail route... Just easier to deal with overall, plus it makes future equipment swaps easier (like when I had to replace my opener this past spring). Good stuff!

1 Like

fyi.. the zooz zen17 relay (700 series zwave) also works like a champ. Make sure you connect to no1 or 2 and the corresponding "C" .. not both to NO1 and NO2 at the same time :slight_smile:

Thread saved my life. Here's my work of art:

3 Likes

Wow, between trying to decipher the Zooz ZEN17 User Manual, Garadget Dry Contact Adapter instructions, and Zooz' instructions on using a ZEN16 for a garage door opener, this was way more complicated than it needed to be... Red and white wires from the Garadget adapter plug into the red and white terminals on the GDO, other 2 wires from the Garadget adapter plug into R1 C and R1 NO, and plug in the ZEN17 (I used a Tradfri signal repeater to boost my Zigbee signal in the garage). Then following Zooz' instructions for the driver/app code/setup worked well. That's it. Ignore everything else about S1 and C, etc. Hope this saves someone else hours of confusion.

1 Like

I finally pulled the plug and installing this in parallel was WAY easier than I thought. Took me 30min between meetings.

What I did;

1. Unscrewed my manual Garage button as it as a light inside, and i wanted to understand which cable was Red v.s. White. It's labeled on the circuit that powers the button LED, but they also got the cables correct (see red stripe). Yay. I als took advantage to short the two wires to make sure that would open and close the door.

2. I used an old 5V power cable I no longer need and cut it, spliced it on both sides, then put the "white" end into the 2nd R1 and the "red" end into the first "R1" per the Zooz parallel instructions (2nd diagram on the page).

3. Connected the "red" cable from the Zooz to the same Red cable coming from my door switch from #1 above, then inserted both back into the first slot in the Chamberlain where the original was.
    Did the same thing for the "White".

1. Turned on all the power and confirmed that my manual garage door button still lights up and functions, then tried the Zoom multirelay and magic!

Final result.

My biggest regret is I waited so long to do this.

For those unaware, the Zooz Zen16 Multirelay comes with a USB to USBC cable, so the only thing I provided was the USB wall adaptor for 5v 1A like this one.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who gave me the confidence.

4 Likes