ZOOZ USB Z-WAVE PLUS S2 STICK support?

Hi. This is the first Z-Wave Plus S2 stick out there and wondering if it would be something you could use with the HE at some point since it uses USB Z-Wave sticks too? It mentions support for Homeseer, OpenHAB, and Home Assistant. It would be nice to have the latest and greatest Z-Wave radio in the HE and so just curious.

I would post a link to it but it won't let me? Maybe because I am new here. It is on TheSmartestHouse dot com though.

Actually, one of the things I like from HE is they use external USB radios, adding new USB devices support to firmware is possible(but maybe not on their plans), this is actually a good question and of course, the new zigbee 3.0 could be included too so I add it to your question.

1 Like

I know this thread is old now, but I thought I'd share in case anyone comes across this thread with the same question (I found this via a search to see if anyone else had tried). I bought a Zooz S2 Z-Wave stick for another purpose, but to answer this question, I thought I'd try it on my Hubitat hub just to see: my experience is that, yes, it works. I connected one to my "test" hub, model C4, and not only did Hubitat report my Z-Wave network as online, but I was able to join a device (Dome Range Extender) to it with success.

To my knowledge, the only officially supported options are the built-in radios (if you have a C5) or an external HUSBZB-1 or Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5 (on any hub model, adapter necessary on the C5). Therefore, unless staff correct my assumption, I would not recommend this. Still, if it's an option you want to pursue for some reason, it does appear to work.

1 Like

Very interesting, did you have the HUSBZB-1 connected when you tested the Zooz? I would like to change my Z Wave network to S2 if I can use both USB sticks, one for zigbee and the Zooz for Zwave S2.

No, I disconnected the HUSBZB-1. I know Hubitat will prioritize an external Z-Wave radio over an internal one (not that it matters here since the C4 doesn't have one), but I have no idea what would happen if you connected two external ones, and don't think I'd have a good way to tell which one it's using.

This requires changes on Hubitat's side beyond just what the Z-Wave hardware supports, so a Zooz S2 stick alone won't get you there. They are apparently working on it or at least planning to but have no timeline:

I should be more specific, I know S2 doesn't works but maybe the Zooz stick works better in speed and coverage than our stick. Just wanted to test.

There can be only a single Z-Wave controller in use at one time. For a C-5, if a Z-Wave stick is connected externally, this will become the in-use Z-Wave controller, disabling the internal radio. In our testing, we have found several models of Z-Wave sticks that work with our hub. Some of those have hardware support for S2. However, at this time we do not support S2 Z-Wave security. We have not tested the Zooz stick.

If you plug in a second Z-Wave stick into a C-4 that has a HUSBZB-1 connected, we cannot predict which will be the controller in use. You could connect a second stick like this, and then power up the hub and see if there are Z-Wave devices connected or not (assuming you have devices on the HHSBZB-1). If there are no devices that show up, but there is a Z-Wave controller, then perhaps this might work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.