Zooz Switch Update Preferences

I doubt it, if the device is waiting for the hub to time out how would a different hub make the device work differently?

Like I said, you can change the group 1 association if you want, just don't expect your device to work correctly afterwards.

1 Like

Let me give you the example that started me down this path.

I have a ZEN34 battery switch that I use to control a ZEN51 relay. The hub only needs to know the state of the relay, it doesn't care about the switch event that controls the relay. But I do want the relay to respond quickly to the switch even if the hub is off line. That means I need the relay association command to go out first and the hub can get its battery update later from group 2.

Group 2 probably wont send battery updates though. Most devices Group 1 sends ALL updates. Typically the other groups are targeted updates, for Zooz Group 2 is usually just switch updates on/off status. The wake up notification, will only go to Group 1 as well, so the hub wont know when the device wakes up, so it wont know when to ask for battery updates.

I could help you get it setup this way but I am suspecting its going to cause issues.

1 Like

:point_up_2: I highly discourage direct associations unless you have a specific need for this..

1 Like

I have removed all my associations and all the logic is now in the hub. I am just a bit disappointed that I chose Z Wave/Hubitat because I was told the basic switching functions would still work if the hub was down.

Is this scenario likely to occur frequently in your setup?

I ask because in my 4 years on Hubitat, I’ve had only one extended outage - for 12 days when we lost power when a hurricane hit. During normal use, both my hubs are only down for a few minutes after platform updates. Otherwise, they’re up 24/7.

1 Like

What's weird to me is that I didn't know about the delay until today. I thought 'shutdown' meant shut down, I guess.

I don't think it is the fault of Hubitat, more of the zwave specs/SDK. True they do not typically expose the association settings in Hubitat but this is because it is advanced and if they expose it they will be expected to support it more. You can easily crash the mesh by putting in a bunch of invalid associations.

I have also heard that once the devices figure out the hub is offline they will start responding quicker with the associations. So possibly you need to keep the hub off for longer and try it a few times to see if it gets better over time.

Zigbee has binding support which might work better, but I am not really sure how it works.

Aaiyar: It's not so much the hub failing that is the issue, more me screwing something up or disconnecting the hub! I have to be aware of who is doing what in my house before I hit power down.

jtp10181: I am upgrading from an Insteon system, that protocol has a number of issue but its association are fast and easy to setup. However I am still very new to Z Wave so I don't intend pursuing the associations.

I have an Inovelli Blue zigbee-bound to a couple Hue bulbs in our bathroom, and it works great -- I've shut down the hub to test, and it's quick as a wired switch. It uses a bulb/switch-oriented zigbee binding app provided by Inovelli.

So I agree the notion of direct binding/association is pretty darn cool... Even if that's not functionality you use day-to-day, it's nice peace-of-mind if the hub is down for whatever reason (my bathroom light setup is otherwise very rule-dependent, so that binding only comes into play if hub goes down).

But it sure doesn't seem like the ZW spec makes direct-association easy to implement for either manus or consumers -- that's unfortunate because there is some really nice potential to it.

1 Like

I'm interested in this Zigbee binding thing, but did you actually pull the plug on the hub after shutdown? As noted, I didn't realize the z-wave radio was still apparently working even when shutdown and my z-wave device associations went very quick, until I tested with the hub unplugged.

Yes, tested with hub unplugged.

1 Like

For laughs I associated an extra ZEN34 battery switch to a GE/Jasco switch. The delay was on the order of 40 seconds and did not improve over two hours.

That sounds more like a device firmware issue to me.

@Peter847 you could start a case with Zooz, they may be able to fix that delay in the firmware.

Unless it breaks zwave spec I don’t see any reason why the device could not just send ALL the association reports at the same time. No reason to wait on the hub.

1 Like

@jtp10181 I did have an email conversation with Zooz and suggested that they send all the association reports one after another, no waiting for group 1 to timeout before moving onto group 2. They declined!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.