Zooz motion sensor chewing a battery in 2 days

Has anyone seen a Zooz (dome) motion sensor chew through a new battery in 48 hrs? This has happened several times and even on 2-3 different sensors, all in the same location?

Could it be a dead spot and it's constantly trying to connect? I can't think of another explanation...

1 Like

Which motion sensor are you talking about? Zooz and Dome are different manufacturers, and Zooz has a couple different ones (two generations of the ZSE 40 4-in-1 and I think just one of the ZSE18), and Dome I think has just one (the DMMS1), all of which are visibly distinct from each other, so feel free to post a picture if you're not sure (though I think all have the models on the back).

In any case, as you might guess from the above, I have all three. :slight_smile: I just got the ZSE18 but it's almost been two days with no problems so far. My ZSE40 has been humming along for a few weeks, and I've had the Dome for a couple years with no battery-eating problems on any I can find so far. Your guess seems plausible; some of the Zooz models have a way to test Z-Wave range (e.g., press a button a certain way to see if it's connecting to the hub, through a repeater, and maybe signal strength--I can't remember exactly), so check the manual for your specific model to see if it does. Otherwise, you may wish to see how your "wakeup interval" is configured (you'll need to wake the device to change it; again see the manual for how) or perhaps whether other settings might also be causing excessive traffic (e.g., a very low threshold for reporting temperature, humidity, or illuminance changes should you have one of the models that supports these), though I can't imagine that being so bad it eats batteries in a couple days. Checking the device's event history pages or Hubitat's live or past logs may also help see what, if any, traffic is coming from the device.

If basic troubleshooting on your own doesn't help and you indeed have a Zooz, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to their support for help. They're fantastic (might be reading this thread as I type) and know their products well, so they are always quite helpful.

1 Like

Yep, thanks for the kind words @bertabcd1234! @bf1 if your sensor is a Zooz motion sensor, please get in touch with our support, you can reference this thread or describe the issue in more details and please include your order number as well.

I know this is old, but I didn't want to start an entire new thread for the same issue. I installed my Zooz ZSE40 that was installed 3 days ago with a fresh CR123. The battery reports 20% today. That's about 25% battery loss per day. Seems a bit excessive.

Check out this thread:
https://community.hubitat.com/t/zooz-4-in-1-zse40-c7-s0

You can also try setting the motion retrigger to 30 seconds. That was a recommendation from Zooz I got when I opened a ticket for battery usage a few months ago.

1 Like

Thank you @nicholb!