Zooz 4 in 1 sensor Lux

I know that there is some discussion on whether this device is approved but after the latest z-wave sdk update mine is working very well.

My question is on the Illuminance. My sensors are report 0 lux in darkness and 50 lux in full light. Is that correct? My other illuminance sensors report illuminance into the thousands.

It works, just some caveats. The update definitely helped it but @jtp10181 's driver helps a great deal as does removing s0 security (or any for that matter) when used with the C7

but is 0-50 correct for the lux?

As documented in its manual, the ZSE41 does not report illuminance in lux but rather in a presumably arbitrary percent scale, 0-100. The stock Hubitat driver uses a formula that I think Zooz provided elsewhere to convert these values to lux, likely with the attempt to make these values comparable of those to other sensors and/or fit in with Hubitat's standard of using lux as the unit for these attributes. However, even if it didn't do this, there is no escaping the fact that the range is limited and the readings will max out at some point, with many reviews finding the sensor unusable for illuminance aside from basic "is it light enough?" kind of readings that might help with certain automations. You'll have to see what it does in your environment (though keep in mind that parameter 4 can be adjusted to set the reporting/change threshold).

I'd guess most people who found this to be a problem just moved on to another sensor. :smiley:

1 Like

I will probably put the percent to lux conversion as an option in my next driver update when I get a chance. I have the code for it from the ST driver made by the person who works closely with Zooz so it should be as accurate as we can get.

Thanks for the clarification. I changed to the community driver and am getting 0-100 for Liz readings.

Ok I just got a Zooz 700 4-1 zse40 sensor.

Mainly wanted it for lux checking to determine if lights need to be turned on or if the sunlight is good enough.

Default driver never even displayed a lux in the device screen output.

Changed to community driver for the zse40 and see 0 at illuminance.

I need to find out if this will work or not. I really didn't want the extra motion sensor. I needed the lux sensor instead of making it a time based allowing light to turn on.

It depends on how accurate you want it to be. The lux sensor in the ZSE40 is not that great, it is mainly only useful in determine there is no light, some light, or a lot of light. The range on it is 0-100%, total % of the capacity of the sensor which is not a lot of lux. It is noted somewhere on this forum or maybe in my emails, but it is not very high in the grand scheme of things. Also if there is active motion it will NOT report the lux or any other reading, only motion. The ZSE11 however has a better lux sensor and will report even during active motion.

Copy that. So return this junk and get the zse11 that is the same price. :+1:t2:

For motion the ZSE40 is faster, if you care more about the other readings (lux) the ZSE11 will be better. So yes sounds like the ZSE11 would be better for you. There may be other dedicated lux sensors out there without the motion part as well but I am not familiar with them, I only have the ZSE40 and ZSE11, and I do not even use the lux for anything at this time.

Yeah I'll let you know how that goes. I couldn't find anything on the internet for a lux only sensor. Maybe matter will help.

Also look at the HUE indoor or outdoor sensor... Pretty good sensor on that one.

Now with Phillips Hue do we need their bridge or is it built in to HE?

It pairs directly to hubitat