Zone Motion Controllers [Built-in] App

I am sure that this is a fairly simple application overall. Is there any documentation on how to use this? I have (2) motion controllers in my kitchen to try and capture movement. I would like to know what is the best way to leverage this app. BTW there are no search results for this either. ;-p

1. Install app.

2. create new motion zone and name it.

3. select motion sensors.

4. select Zone type (it tells you what each one is when you select it)

5. select timeout.

6. profit.

More interested in a good use scenario. And not “if you have two sensors then this” but how to use this in your lighting automation.

Sure, false motion reduction.
Use case, out door motion detectors, place two of them pointing at your target area, this zone type will reduce the number of false events created by clouds and sun.
No reason you couldn’t use in doors, but it was intended for out door use.
Triggered zone, good for use this with contact sensors, where I want the door to open before allowing the motion event to fire. I use these to trigger porch lighting where I only want it to fire when the door opens followed my motion in the area.
Motion aggregation is just a shortcut for selecting the same motion sensors over and over in an app, such as creating a zone for the entire first floor ect.

2 Likes

I use it in aggregation mode in my kitchen.
I have 3 sensors which cover this area, if movement is detected on any one of them, then my lights come on
They don’t go off until motion stops on ALL of them and the app times out (5 mins)
This way if someone is in one corner of the kitchen at least one of the sensors picks them up.

Andy

1 Like

Does this work as designed for you?
I set this up in my bathroom. One sensor for the bathroom and the other for the shower. The aggregated group would always change to inactive when the first sensor that triggered the active stopped seeing motion.
Eg… if the main sensor triggered the group and turned on the lights. Then I get in the shower. After the timeout. The aggregated group says inactive even though the shower sensor is still active. Could not get this one to work for me.

I have a number agg zones in my house, including three sensor configurations in the kitchen and my office that are used all the time. I have not seen any of them ignore the zone timeout setting. Wonder what could be going on in your setup.

Not sure, but I ended up making a RM rule instead. I stopped trying because I was having other issues at the time. I will try again and post my setup. Probably something simple I’m missing (as usual).

If you wouldn't mind that would be awesome, just want to verify there aren't any edge case bugs in here...

@mike.maxwell I am experiencing this issue in my kitchen with 2 motions. My kids will be there for hours working on their homework and the motion above the table stays active for long periods of time that exceed the motion zone time out. It’s understandable that the lights turn off because there haven’t been any additional motion triggers. So it appears as if the the app doesn’t check for active at end of timeout before turning off lights. Could it check for active at end of timeout and if still active reset timer?

Happy to provide log data.

That was by design, though i cant remember why atm. What type of motion is above that area?

Above table is an Iris motion the other motion is a hard wired motion on my alarm panel that is integrated.

You can see the Iris motion was active for a long time:

Lights turned off at 816:

I could see changing the timeout to start on the trailing edge. Motion zone active on the leading edge as it is now then start the timeout on the last inactive...

Sorry not sure I follow, are these changes on my end in preferences? Could you provide a bool preference when ticked will check current motion status at conclusion of timeout and if still active restart timer? That will at least solve my use case.

So for the zone aggregation type I'm thinking that when the zone is inactive, the first sensor to go active, activates the zone, the time out timer doesn't start until all sensors are inactive.
The reason I currently reset the timer on sensor active was to get around the different timeout settings of the individual sensors.

I like it! I can confirm that my zone controller is using the "Motion Aggregation" setting and one sensor was inactive while another was active, yet the timer turned off the lights. By starting the timer on all sensors inactive will help for situations where someone is in a blind spot of my kitchen or if they temporarily walk out of the room or into the pantry.

@ritchierich and @mike.maxwell

I have this same issue with lights turning off even when sensors are active. How do you implement what you both were discussing above? I am confused on where to add these changes.

It's a change i have to make in the app.

@mike.maxwell

Any thoughts on when this might be updated? 1.14 maybe?

It wont be in 1.1.4, we're about to freeze that build.

2 Likes