The Great Zigbee vs Zwave Challenge

@bcopeland
Don't you find that although the ZWave mesh network spec seems to be more sophisticated that the Zigbee mesh network spec, don't you find that zwave devices (light switches, outlets, sensors, etc.) all tend to respond MUCH slower than a corresponding Zigbee device?
As I have stated previously, I honestly do believe that Zwave is far superior (technically). Better range, more error correction, greater interconnectability, greater penetration power, etc.
I also have to state that there appears to be a much greater consumer selection of Zwave devices in some key categories (e.g. switches, outlets, ...)

PLACE YOUR BETS WITH THE ONLINE POLL! LAST CHANCE TO ENTER!!!

1 Like

Not on my drivers :wink:

1 Like

OK.
You've put in place great Zwave drivers for the RGB Genie Line.
So, how about comparing the speed between the ZW-4001 micro controller from RGBGenie and the Zigbee version of that - the ZB-4003.
Can we have some timings, please!

1 Like

I don’t actually have the zb version

Please PM me your address - I'll send you one!
I'd really like to see this match up!

3 Likes

Ok.. I ordered one.. Will be in on Monday..

I propose that a commonly accepted method of measurement be the speed determinant.
I propose that the "Device Watchdog" app from @bptworld be used to determine the speed of response on those two items.

3 Likes

Place your bets!

1 Like

Hello @Gnant
Do you have a pony in this race?
Or, are you indifferent?

1 Like

@jtmpush18 No favorite. My place is about 50/50 Zigbee and Zwave. I have my thoughts on this experiment however.

1 Like

It's both his devices.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll have both devices in hand Monday .. Setup side by side, same distance, same number of hops from the hub.. Same dimming speed, other speed relevant settings will be identical.

Better yet.. On a hub with no other traffic (to be sure there is nothing interfering with the comparison)..

This hub will have only these 2 devices paired..

3 Likes

Taking bets.. Which is going to win?

• Z-Wave
  • Zigbee

0 voters

2 Likes

Interesting topic.

In my place I both. And both of them are full of repeaters and fully built out.

I did find that my zigbee devices seem to react faster, but I also don't know if its because the zwave network has a lot of other chatter on it such as power monitoring. When I went through and disabled all power monitoring on all my devices the zwave network got a lot faster. You also have to look at the zwave plus vs regular zwave and any other stupid devices that may be messing with the mesh and forcing the speed to 9kbps. I saw one old device doing that on my network and quickly pulled it. (Looks like @bcopeland has all this under control. :slight_smile:)

So I think its important to understand what else is on the network that could add to the traffic.

I'm interested in seeing what a controlled test shows.

1 Like

Can we trust the resident z-wave fanboy, to not place the zigbee device in a metal box with a router on top and the whole apparatus in a microwave ? :smirk:

3 Likes

This will be a completely honest test.. Video and all

A great part of this test is the choice of actual devices to test.
It is extremely fortuitous that we have in essence, one device with one flavour for Zigbee and one flavour with Zwave. Certainly we could not have a fairer test.
Thank you RGBGenie!

3 Likes

Agree .. This device is identical with different wireless chips

1 Like

And I'll run 2 separate tests.. Full driver comparison... and stripped down driver comparisons (raw zigbee and zwave packet)

1 Like

Just don't have any light bulbs screwed in otherwise Zigbee might get lost and confused and not know what to do :slight_smile:

2 Likes