Zigbee USB power adapter or inline switch?

a.k.a. Wall Wart

I'm getting more & more usb-powered devices, lights, & small appliances. With the lack of in-wall zigbee receptacles, this means stacking plugs and adapters to get HE control. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Can you be more specific? Where are you needing the USB power? Around the house, or in a network closet? What does Zigbee have to do with it?

You're looking to combine your USB wall-wart with a Zigbee Pocket socket?

There are powerstrips that do that but I am not aware of any wall-wart style devices that give you the same functionality.

I think I know what you mean.
Say you have USB powered Fairy Lights or something like that, and you don't want to have to have a zigbee plug plus a wall-wort.
I agree I could find use for this!

Edit: it is so strange that Z-Wave has the in-wall power game monopolized.

GE's new enbrighten zigbee line has an in-wall zigbee outlet! I'm so excited!! (and yes, i realize how pathetic that is)

4 Likes

Haha I just searched that because I thought I remembered hearing about that.
Why everybody hatin' on Z-Wave?
I get that it's a little old, a little more pricey, but I like the pair/unpair functionality better actually.

I switch controllers to frequently is what that tells me...

I don't. Why should I have to tell the device specifically to get lost? The whole exclude thing is nuts. Plus, you can't rejoin a device in-place. I moved a bulb over from HE to Hue to try some stuff, and then moved it back. Didn't have to change one thing in HE after rejoining the bulb. It slid right back into it's old slot in the database.

Plus, as far as motion sensors go, z-wave can't hold a candle to zigbee. I mean, if they were close i'd call it a wash but it's not even remotely close.

1 Like

I was just doing searches earlier this week for a Zigbee operated in-line USB power switch. I ended up with a couple of manual in-line switches for the time being.

Interesting about the bulb. My mind is too binary I suppose.

Since this is going OT I'll say I won't respond after this other than a like, maybe it's topic adjacent, but I'm curious why you find the Zigbee motion sensors better. My Aeotec seemed to work fine until it died in my basement from the cold I think... or chinaware maybe..

This is a good example.

I agree they are too. They are easily 2x as fast as any zwave motion sensor I have...and more likely 4x as fast. I've personally had way more luck and better response times with zigbee.

Back on topic. It would be nice if they made an in-wall outlet with 2 USB outlets which were each switchable (along with one of the outlets)... how about that!

I'm confused. Are these dual compatibility, either zwave or zigbee?

Got a link?

No, they are just zigbee.

These are Zigbee but the USB is not able to be switched On/Off. The USB is always ON.
Zigbee wall outlet

Then that is not what the OP is looking for.

Iā€™m not a hater, but prefer Zigbee on HE. For the most part, I welcome whatever works consistently. But Iā€™m trying not to over-do it on the Z-Wave stuff. Pain to have to fix rules if a Z-Wave device drops, but Zigbee just slots right back in, and you go about your business without having to touch any of your rules.

I just wanted to control a string of plug-in leds rather than a usb-powered appliance, so cannibalizing the inline dimmer module from a Sylvania 72569 under-cabinet light worked perfectly. No stacked power adapters in order to get HE control.
And for $16 delivered!!

I've tested it with a 6vdc and a 12vdc power adapter. The dimmer and on-off work as expected with either voltage. I cut off the micro usb end and converted it to a dc barrel connector using the red (+) and the blue (-) wires .

2 Likes

Hey @rcjordan I just saw this.
Little confusing.
I think it turns on/off the outlet and 2 USB ports at the same time...

Hi @rcjordan, Re the above Sylvannia light strip. I took your advice and purchased one of these and also a neat 12v battery pack that has both a 12v connection and USB 5v, perfeect for what I want...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I cannot get the light strip to turn on. The adapter that came with the light strip indicates it outputs 20volts and I have confirmed that. The battery above measures 12v (11.96) but it does not activate the light. Are you sure the strip operates correctly with 12volts? or am I miss reading your message!

Thanks again

As I mentioned above, I was seeking to control a string of led lights and only used the switch module out of that Sylvania kit.